Friday 7 March 2008

IWD

Tomorrow, Saturday 8th March is International Women's Day which, in Russia at least, is a very important National Holiday. The celebration is such that it combines St Valentines Day and Mother's Day into one whereby Wives, Girlfriends, Mothers, Grandmothers, Teachers, Sisters, Daughters in fact all women in any man's life, are traditionally sent Yellow flowers (Mimosa) and chocolate whilst being "congratulated". Of course the day goes beyond the traditional ideal with all kinds of flowers and gifts being showered on women on what they consider to be the most special day of their year. To ignore this tradition is to take a perilous course apparantly so I'm glad that, albeit after 3 years of friendship, I've actually found out about the day and this year can do something about it. I'm not sure about whether I can take flowers and chocolate to Calahonda but I can certainly send a message and score at least half a Brownie Point.

Talking of yellow flowers I said that I would show you more of my display on the terrace. I've left it a little too late because the blooms are fading and dropping now but here's a shot taken today showing the colour in all it's real glory. I'm still not sure what this flower is called despite asking Tina yesterday (she passed the plants on to me when she and Barry left the Red Lion) but I didn't write her answer down and now I've forgotten what she told me. I do know now, though, that the big white bloom I photographed a post or three ago is an Arum Lily.

No comments: