Sunday 29 July 2007

Dinner Guest

I'm up at the crack of dawn. Actually that's not true because dawn has not cracked yet, it's just 4:15am. But anyway, I am up. I have a dinner guest coming and there is plenty to do. First things first though...a pot of tea!....OK, the tea is made, the cosy is over and while I wait for it to brew (2 yorkshire, 1 Lapsang Suchong and the scientifically proven 5 mins brewing makes a gorgeous cuppa!) I'll mention the planned Menu - Caviar and Chicken Kiev. Now there's a clue or two.

I just hope that I am not pushing the envelope too far with my Culinary Skills, I'm planning tecniques in the kitchen that I haven't used before and today just might not be the day to do that! But what the heck, in for a penny..... Oh, let me explain, the caviar is lumpfish roe (which will look the part) while the Kiev will be more a Torre (my very own variation on the theme).

My invitation, sent on Friday afternoon, was accepted as follows - "Si, yo te llama y podemos preparar juntos una comida a la 'derek'" which translates as 'Yes I'll call you and together we can prepare a meal a la'....anybody would think that I enjoy cooking!! Which is good because I'll have some help with the fiddly bits. And, not being daft, I've deliberately plonked the menu right up her street, where she just might know how things SHOULD be done, although "Chicken Kiev" was actually first created by a Frenchman and then, I presume, adopted by that city. Also, did you know that Russian Salad is a Spanish dish? Not a lot of people do. Funny old world.

Just like every other Party Host I'm worrying about whether the guest will turn up. Of course she will. Won't she?

5:30am and it is a muggy 70F outside. I think that I'll keep the AC on. The forecast is for 88F at least and slaving over a hot stove in that ambience is not a joke. Mind you, the chilled Pinot Grigio will probably go down very well....I need a 1/4cup to steam some Asparagos but it only comes by the bottle and people ask why I enjoy cooking so much! I do not think that any of them have ever had an intelligeable answer.

Can't make much noise yet, the windows are all flung wide open and people are still asleep in this neck of the woods but when you are trying to be quiet even breathing sounds like an Express Train. Just remembered to plug the mobile into its charger. One thing I DON'T want today is a flat battery when she calls to announce her arrival. I'll have to remind her that there is a landline. She does know, she has used it once (about this time last year as it happens) but, of course, my inability to converse in Spanish over the phone means it has been better to TXT via mobiles but that's all a-changing, conversation is becoming decidedly easier without the line-of-sight body language advantage which, up until now, has been so important to me. I have to thank David for that, he is really pushing me on with learning the language; to the point where, sometimes, I could shout out loud for a rest from it. It's not just the formal lesson once (or sometimes twice) a week it's also when we meet socially etc, he never lets up!!!

08:45 and a tea break. Can something be Hauntingly Beautiful? David has lent me a CD of Davy Spillane playing the Uilleann Pipes (I hope I've spelt that correctly) and also one of the score to 'Riverdance' in which he plays a piece by Bill Whelan called "Caoineadh Cú Chulainn". If the answer to my question can be yes then this piece on those pipes has to be. I cannot bring myself to take the player off repeat!

10:30 Timeout. Things are going well and I think that I will be ready by late afternoon which will be just fine. An explanation of the menu:

Starter - Tapas Variados
A selection of toppings presented on Endive leaves
"Caviar"
Fillet of Mackeral
Ham
Pickles
Blue Cheese
Cream Cheese

Main Course - Pollo Torre (In the style of Chicken Kiev)
Chicken breast rolled with ham and swiss cheese, finished with
a mustard, honey and sourcream salsa.
Patatas fritas juliennes (Fine cut chips)
Espárragos (Steamed Asparagos).

Which, according to my research, somewhat follows the traditional way a Kiev would be served in Kiev (the capital of The Ukraine.) Larisa is actually from Southern Siberia but I'm sure that that won't matter!

12:30 The phone!!! Geez, why do I jump so? A message.....yes!!! 5pm more or less. I don't care. More is better than less but less will be good enough. I'll never be ready. What's left to do? Too much!! Blame a Frenchman. She asked "what are you doing right now - waiting for me?" How do I know that? Blame a Scotsman. I hope she's not going to skip down the steps early bearing in mind I replied with a yes. No, I don't hope that, I wish she was here already. I need a cuppa.

16:00 And I just need to shower and change after a well-earned tea break.

...........ongoing............

No comments: