Tuesday 25 August 2009

- Puedas Venir Aqui -

My plan to return this weekend has been kyboshed by the fact that it's the August Bank Holiday and, as a consequence, airfares are skyhigh: BA want more or less a 1000euros one-way to Heathrow for instance! So, I am going to have to wait a little while until the prices come back down to earth. And it looks like I'll be able to do that now because a Guardian Angel has arrived on the scene.

Larisa rang again late last night:
"Where were you last night (Sunday) when I rang?"
In the heat of the moment (I still hate talking spanish on the phone) I mistakenly told her that I had been indoors watching television.
"Ah, that's why there was a lot of background noise, where are you now?"
"Indoors, always indoors" I replied in all innocence, pointing the phone toward the TV for proof. Then I remembered that I was actually in Teresa's Bar, blogging, on Sunday when she called. Not that any of it matters but I still take great comfort in the fact that she concerns herself about me.
"OK", she said, and then asked "have you bought a ticket yet?"
"No, the prices are too high" I explained, continuing with "I may have to wait a week or so for the prices to drop."
"Good, then you can come here?"
"What?!"
"You can come here, to my apartment. I'll ring you again on Wednesday night."
"Oh! Ok, Gracias."
"Venga, hasta luego" and she was gone.

The mind can play funny tricks at times, not the least mine and I'm beginning to wonder (and enjoying the process) whether I'm now being reeled in. Caught, hook, line and sinker! Probably not, unfortunately. But then, reading between the lines of our recent conversations (and I only ever tickle the essence of them here on this blog), she seems not to be prepared to accept the fact that my time to leave has come. All the while I don't have the ticket she's happy with the fact that I'm not committed, and that, it would seem, is providing her with an opportunity to take control. There is no need to call me today because I've told her I'm having to wait so, she now has time to get up to whatever it is that she wants to do today before calling me again, tomorrow. But, as I say, the mind can get up to all sorts of tricks.

All the while this week I am bringing my tenancy here to a close, now deadlined for Monday. Much of the stuff that I can't carry is earmarked for others to have, and Saturday will be spent delivering to them. Saturday is also David's birthday and I am invited to his bash in the evening which will become my sendoff as well, finishing, I expect, in Ana's with a developing headache!

My mind is working at fever pitch again....I haven't mentioned this before but the other month, out on her terrace with Katy earwigging, a conversation started about relationships and we both ended up telling each other that we were confirmed singles, me having dismissed her suggestion that I ought to find a rich widow. I was lying of course, about remaining single, but stayed clear of steering the conversation down the road I would dearly have loved it to go just in case she wasn't but I did make it quite clear that I was not, and had no intention of, looking for anybody else. A wisp of a smile told me that I'd said and she'd heard all the right things. Katy grinned like a Cheshire Cat all the way through!

If I do move to Calahonda I must remember not to wear the Wrong Trousers!!

No comments: