Friday 23 January 2009

A Good Sign

The beer order came even earlier today; I was woken up by the call from the lads on the lorry at 1030 this morning. Which means that life is very quiet for the brewery also, bearing in mind that Bar Ana is the last delivery on the round and that, in the high season, I usually have to wait until 1700 hrs or so. On leaving the apartment I bumped into someone wielding a paintbrush....Christina is having the communal staircase painted so maybe, just maybe, all the noise, grief and grime within this apartment block is finally coming to an end; a whole year of stressful living conditions may be over. The downside is that the smell of the paint will cause me to develop a cold for sure despite running all the extractor fans that I have (2) in an effort to stop the fumes from getting to my nose. Small price to pay for peace and quiet though, the day that I've been dreaming of for a good long while may have just dawned!

Up in town one of the phone shops is selling a little tiny laptop computer for 49euros. What's exciting about that is that it comes with XP as the OS which means that I could bring my Skypephone back into use (and quickly get the investment back in saved call charges). I will certainly be checking it out after next payday.....there has to be a "catch" and I suspect that it may be a compulsory contract with vodaphone for a mobile internet connection. If there isn't, and it sports a networking plug'ole, I may just treat myself to an early birthday present.

The demise of the Steps Cam - it got wet and died a death in addition to the neighbourly complaints - has enabled me to bring this Linux machine back into use and work from the comfort of my sofa having cabled all around the apartment from the router with the cable I used for the Cam. Unluckily, for the moment, I am out of shot with the 2 existing apartment cams despite being in just about all day long until 7-45pm most days.

No comments: