Sunday 25 January 2009

This is no Qwicky

Yesterday I made my chicken stock (leaving out the veg stock cubes) as usual and today I've turned it into soup after letting it chill overnight in order to skim as much of the fat off as I can. This is the second time I've made this particular brew; it's good so here it is

LEEK & CHICKPEA SOUP
INGREDIENTS
3-4pints Chicken Stock
Whites of 6 big Leeks
200g Canned Chickpeas
Good pinch Paprika
Salt & Pepper

PREP
Skim and strain the stock.
Trim, clean and finely slice the Leeks
Wash the Chickpeas of their preserving liqour.

METHOD
Throw the Leeks and Chickpeas into the stock and boil until well tender. Blend smooth and season to taste. Serve each bowl with a swirl of cream.

I dare you not to like it.

In between sneezes (I got the cold that I expected to get) I'm going to go a little farther and show you what I did with a ladle full of said soup.....used it as a gravy for my Sunday Roast Dinner today. Chicken , Brussels and Roast Potatoes wih Bread Sauce to boot. Talking about the cold I've been having some horrendous headaches this last week or so. Right behind my right eye. So much pain that that eye has actually been trying to close and even though things are more-or-less back to normal now (still some twinges) it still looks "tired" with a droopy lid and continues to water in protest.

And to top it all....my second best friend has let me down good 'n proper. Thermal JimJams from now on because laying on a cold (ex)electric blanket is not my idea of fun these cold nights. Another job for next month's pay packet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

tried his recipe....it's gorgeous ...well reccomended :))