Saturday 9 August 2008

Caldo de Pollo

I keep being asked how I make my Chicken Stock. All I can say is that, always, it uses what's available in my cupboard. You have to bear in mind that at this time of year fresh produce does not remain fresh for very long and I tend to use what is nearing the end of its shelflife so, without too much detail, here's today's concotion......
INGREDIENTS
1 Chicken Carcass (Inc unbutchered wings, skin, bare leg bones, the whole caboodle! Save everything as you use the meat up.)
2 Doble Caldo cubes (veg stock cubes)
1 Onion
1 Dried Red Pepper (halved at least).
2 Bay Leaves
5-6 whole unpeeled cloves garlic
1/2 a tomato
1 complete large sprig Rosemary
1 Bunch fresh cut Thyme
1 Bunch Fresh Cut Parsley
1 dozen Peppercorns
1 good pinch sea salt

METHOD
Chuck everything (don't peel the onion, just quarter it) into a large stockpot with 3 .5 pints of water, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for as long as you fancy, topping up if necessary. Then strain, recovering as much chicken meat (I'm very picky) as you can (for other uses) and use as required for soups etc.

As I said, this uses what I had available (hence the 1/2 tomato) so additional flavours are up to you. Sea salt? I don't believe in the (English) TV Chefs' addiction to Maldon Sea Salt. I just use a crystallized sea salt that contains no added E numbers etc which comes from nowhere near Maldon but tastes of......salt! And, I'm lucky, my herbs are fresh cut from my "garden"..you may have to compromise.

No comments: