Monday 18 August 2008

Strange Conversation

Yesterday, just after I'd opened the proprietor of the German cafe just up the road called in for a drink, which in itself was strange...the cafe sports its own bar! Anyway, he started talking about things to do with his business and I now know that he has bought the little bar next door (Antonio's as it is known) with the intention of turning it into a seafood restaurant. I also now know how much his staff earn and how many more will be required for the future (he expects to open his new venture next year.) We have never, ever, spoken before; Larisa took a job there just after I moved into this apartment but she didn't like the conditions and left after 8 days or so but while she was there I patronised it, just for her company, and he and I never more than nodded in recognition of each other. But now, all of a sudden, I'm party to info that is really none of my business. Strange.

Last night turned out to be quite good with a late dash for the post so to speak. Teresa and I eventually closed up at around 4am having hosted quite a nice little party including a visit from a Laplander which, for me, was a first in terms of nationalities encountered. A huge guy who, at first sight, seemed to be a little strange but after his second pint he "came round", warmed up to us and proved to be quite pleasant. Hopefully we will see him again during his stay.

Today is changeover day in another sense.....this week's carcass is in the stockpot, boiling, and a fresh Bird is in the oven but if Cristina turns the electrics off........

No comments: