Sunday 17 August 2008

Changes all Round

So far this month trade has been a little better, exactly as Ana-Mary forecast but last night it went "dead" again. Saturday is changeover day; those folk who have been here with us for a week or two leave, usually very early Sunday morning, and those arriving haven't found us yet. This last week or so we have had a good "crowd" in most nights but last night they all went home, leaving us high and dry so-to-speak. Hopefully, new faces will appear in the next couple of days who will choose to use us as their local for the duration.

Favio put some prices up on Friday; all normal spirits have gone from 4€ to 5€ a measure. By normal I mean standard Rums, Gins, Vodkas etc., the dearer brands remain the same. With inflation running at around 5% at the moment in a cooling Spanish economy I'm not surprised that he has seen fit to do so. Beryl and I were both really surprised when, after the brewer raised the price of a barrel of beer by almost 6€ a few months ago he did not respond with an increased price at the pump.

I can't remember whether I have already told you but I gave up my Spanish Lessons with David: I just don't have the time now what with all that I have to do with this job. Teresa took over my slot and she is doing very well it seems but I now have increased opportunities to practise, translating for her, not only across the bar with customers, but with Favio as well; Last night she booked a couple of days off next week after having asked me to lend her a hand asking him.

No comments: