Friday 29 August 2008

Passionate Patriotism

First of all....Larisa didn't give up last Sunday despite me not replying to her invitation for Paella that she had sent on the Saturday; she had faithfully cooked one expecting me to turn up at 1pm anyway. She showed me the meal safely stashed in the freezer for another day, another date, with the words "para ti otro día" (for you another day.) No wonder she called, she was disappointed and also worried that something might be wrong. Hence the reason why you'll read later about next Wednesday I think, she has made sure that plans don't go awry over the phone. My old moans about the amount of time I get to be with her are now going out of the window, things are changing again and I believe that Viktor is playing a big part between us, tying up loose ends in our story. Speaking of which; I remember writing a little while ago that a new chapter begins. Ongoing, and the best so far, I'm going to entitle it "Viktor's Bit".

The early evening barbie went well. Overseen by Chef Viktor there were lots of goodies nicely done over the hot coals with plenty of salad and fruit to accompany. Viktor has been back home and returned with his Grandaughter, Anastasia, who is a flaming red-head and 8 years old. She warmed to me very quickly and many times dragged Larisa and me to the pool for a frolic in the water. Larisa had waited for me to arrive before going shopping so I was able to help in that department and made responsible for the choice of ingredients for a Sangria. It was a good'un and enjoyed by many a jug-full well into the small hours. The problems in Georgia were high on the conversational agenda and, again, a restaurant and The Crimea cropped up as well, just as I expected. Judging by what I saw on Russian TV the country is still rejoicing in its successes at the Olympics and I have a photo here (snapped with my mobile) of Lary sporting her allegiance while walking with Anastasia, who is also similarly garbed, albeit in a different size, to a local bar for a game of pool (at which, for once, I beat Lary fair 'n square.) After the games Anastasia suddenly realized that she was hungry and led us all to the nearest chinky for Peking Duck which, apparantly, she cannot resist and will always find room for, despite a full belly!!! One portion shared by all was enough to satisfy her desires though and here in the photo we are finished and thinking about a midnight trip back home in the car.

We have made tentative arrangements for next week already; I am to go to Calahonda early on Wednesday morning with my passport because a day trip to Gibraltar is planned and if Viktor offers me the car keys again (as he did this visit, and always does) I might just do the driving for them as it is a nice easy drive on the motorway. Larisa keeps pressing me to drive the car but as I haven't driven for about 4 years now and as it is a strange car to me I have declined to. But next week.....no drink and a straight road, I might accept the opportunity to get my hand "back in", maybe with just a little practise outside on the street first. Having said all that next week is a long time away and I'll see what happens when I call her next Tuesday to confirm etc. Actually I'm beginning to think that, if it wasn't for my job, I'd be invited to do a lot more travelling with her, what with Andorra and Paris in the weeks gone by and now Gibraltar (for a day, which she knows I can manage) and possibly to come, an inevitable invitation to The Crimea. Inevitable? Yes, I think so because Viktor keeps dropping hints about me visiting his place there.

My Spanish took a bashing! On Thursday morning Viktor decided to go down to the Tobacconist for some cigarettes and I went with him for the ride. Upon realising that I was going out Larisa worriedly enquired whether I was leaving and I had to explain that I was only going out with Viktor to the shops and that my plan was actually to leave at about 3pm, which satisfied her concerns. After we had got back the President of the apartment complex came to the terrace gate to discuss issues with Viktor. He is English, which Viktor doesn't speak of course, and doesn't speak Spanish. Having politely stayed indoors minding my own business the next thing I heard, from Larisa, was a soft "Derek? Ven por Favor" and I was put to work translating Spanish into English for the President while she translated Russian into Spanish for me (from Viktor), and vice versa of course. 45 minutes later, with every point brought up successfully resolved, I was thanked by all for my effort. I've always known that, somewhere, I have a calling!!!

No comments: