Wednesday 27 May 2009

Hopelessly Devoted

Almost midnight, and the end of an interesting day.Now a very clammy 20C with 73% humidity but I'm probably feeling hot because I've just finished eating what I cooked this evening....homemade sausages! I can't get Sage, fresh or dried, here in Torre for love nor money so, to flavour my 1lb of Pork Sausagemeat I bought a pack of Sage & Onion stuffing mix and added the lot to the meat. They subsequently turned out quite bready but, boy, the idea is there and my skinless technique worked a treat. I mentioned what I was going to do to David earlier and was given an order for 1 or 2 and I'm not going to be ashamed to fulfil his request. While on the subject of food; Bill has given me a few young Tomato Plants that he has grown from seed. A "beefsteak" variety, they have withstood the trauma of thinning out on his terrace and replanting in a trough on one of my balconies very well and have regained a proud 8inch stature quite rapidly. Growing your own is not a cost-effective exercise here and the Spanish tend not to do so but then they miss out on so much pleasure and you'd be hard pushed to buy firm, green toms for the infamous chutney anywhere.

Barcelona beat Manchester Utd tonight 2 - 0 in the Champions League cup final and I found it very gratifying to watch Sir Alex Ferguson chew his way off the pitch in abject disappointment. And some annoyance judging by one fleeting scene, on camera, of him talking to one of his players. I don't normally take an interest in such matters as football but the match was showing in the bar so I watched the first half there before coming home to cook while watching the second half and feeling just as elated as my Spanish neighbours at full time.

Despite the recent improvements to the local drain and sewer system the problem suffered by many a locale here in El Bajondillo (including Bar Ana) has manifested itself again in a major way. Late last week the Water Company (Astosam) were obliged to deal with the, no doubt, flooded cellar below The Red Lion. My snap shows men in white protective clothing and facemasks endeavouring to clear the stinking contents of the cellar after 18 months of unattended dormancy. Micheala saw fit to summon the Police in protest against the stench permeating for 10s of metres all around but on seeing what was having to happen the two officers just shrugged their shoulders and left her holding her pinny high to her nose whereupon she started remonstrating with one of the local shopkeepers who has something to do with Red Lion's future. Also to no avail. Whether the job is complete or not I don't know but nothing else has gone on so far this week.

As always, Larisa is never far from my thoughts. Today, after doing a "bank run" (for change) and a little shopping I called into my favourite Bodega as usual for a glass of wine. Whilst I was sitting near the door watching the world go by and, indeed, thinking of her, she called! In answer to my question "where are you?" she replied "here, always here" To me a strange response bearing in mind that she last told me that she was in Madrid but more goes on between us than I tell here so maybe she's being a little cryptic. No matter, I've told her that I'll call later, probably Monday, with a view to taking her out. Her emphatic "OK!!" was reassuring, causing me to reflect upon my feelings in my, now chosen, title. Actually it was chosen for me because as I came home down the steps "Eme Ochenta Radio" (M80 Radio) was playing Olivia Neutron Bomb singing those very words from every wireless within earshot. Soppy? Yeah.

No comments: