Tuesday 18 November 2008

Back in the Swing

Last time I wrote I said that I was planning a Dinner for Two which immediately prompted me to say to myself "what the heck, do it now, send an invitation for tomorrow" and I did. Teresa and I had swapped days off so that she could extend her weeks holiday by a day which meant that tomorrow was actually last Monday which I thought would catch Lary by surprise and, with other things planned, she'd have to decline. Silly me. She arrived just after 5pm and after a gander round the new pad she rolled her sleeves up and began peeling prawns and chopping hard-boiled eggs for me. My menu was dictated by the most awesome luck....Teresa, prior to starting her holiday, cleared her fridge etc. and passed on to me some some Smoked Salmon and some Steaks. In addition, David has a "thing" about Use-by-Dates and gave me some vol-au-vont cases amongst other stuff he wanted to clear from his store-cupboard. So, with a minimal shop I was able to to produce Vol-au-vonts and Asparragus wrapped in Salmon as starters followed by two steaks with all the trimmings accompanied by two bottles of very decent Red Wine. A typsy trip along to the bar for a bevvy or two preceded going "home" to Calahonda......train to Fuengirola first where we were just in time to miss the last 220.
"Give me 15€"
"Why?"
"Just give me 15€ and keep quiet!"
Pleading poverty with her last 15€ Lary managed to get us home in the luxury of, what should have been, a 20-25€ taxi ride.

Once we were boarded on the train Lary had produced one of my Sundae Dishes and a bottle of Sambuca (which I'd bought for the bar many moons ago when we ran out but Favio never paid me for it so I kept it for myself). The Sambuca I had told her she could have because I don't drink it and the dish she consequently "nicked" from my cupboard behind my back! So, there we were, sharing a Sundae Dish of Sambuca until the Security Guard came along and with a wagging finger said "Tch Tch, you mustn't drink on the train" whereupon, feeling like two naughty little kids, we giggled together and hid the dish whenever he passed by again (which turned out to be quite frequently!!) At nearly 61 life can be real fun at times!

I've been on my own in the bar since Wednesday but Teresa comes back this Thursday and I start my 2 weeks holiday on Sunday. First real break in 15 months and I can't wait. Aaron and Shellie, his new friend, arrive on the 27th of course which is Thanksgiving Day in America and the 4 of us have been invited to Bill & Anns' for their celebration dinner in the evening. Bill is a dab hand in a kitchen so I'm looking forward to his meal very much. Aaron has been told (by email last night) to pack party frocks at the top of their cases in readiness for a relatively quick turnround once they get to their hotel. And judging by his reply Shellie has begun to suffer the "I've got nothing to wear" syndrome! Women!! Actually I'm looking forward to meeting her for the first time (which is the reason for their visit here) very much and Bill & Anns' dinner is a very opportune moment "to break all the ice" so to speak. Unfortunately though they are only going to get 1.18€ for each pound they bring which is a shame.

Back in the Swing? You bet! A chicken is roasting while last week's is being turned into a hearty Lentil & Veg soup ready for later before I go to work.

No comments: