Friday 28 November 2008

¡Fabuloso!

Tonight, as I write, the rain is back with a vengeance but that cannot take away the fact that tonight has also been, probably, the best I have ever spent. A photo is worth a thousand words they say....well, I have to tell you that that is not true; I need more than a thousand words to recount this evening's events but I do have a few photos to augment the saga. Bill's menu was built around a "Standing Rib Roast" (and, yes, American is probably more difficult to learn than Chinese) and a bottle of Port. Awesome it was too. No mint sauce but I can excuse that in all honesty, the horseradish was a damn good substitute!! Aaron and Shellie had arrived safe & sound 17mins early yesterday lunchtime and whilst the first planned sortie with Larisa into town in the evening did not happen (with her) here is a shot or two of all of us enjoying Bill & Ann's hospitality, and as she and I don't often "get together" there is one that puts that to rights!! Because she couldn't get to Torre yesterday I worried that she might not be able to come tonight and told Ann that there may be one guest missing. But at 2 o'clock she called to say that she would be in Torre by 1440 and where should we meet. I was hellishly busy doing a couple of starters for the meal and Aaron was due here at 3pm so I told her to come straight here, which she did, and, running late due to my cookery efforts, we eventually got to the party at 3-30 or so where, after a surprised "oh! She's here after all!" from Ann, an extra place setting was quickly laid. Over the aperitifs Lary quietly explained why she had had to disappoint me last night and her worry about that touched me somewhat but nothing stopped her rolling sleeves up in Ann's kitchen to help me finish my dishes. Erm, help? Not a bit of it; I was shooed firmly out the way while she dressed my 16 steamed asparagus spears in smoked salmon and laid them out on two platters. Bill's Roast was expertly cooked and carved, satisfying everbody's needs from my well done (jokingly labeled "cremated" by all and sundry) to the medium rare of others' choice. A trip along to the bar for an after-dinner get together followed by 179 steps up to the station with her brought a fabulous evening to an end...........

........It's Saturday and Aaron, Shellie and I have spent the day in Málaga doing the sights etc. and tomorrow we go to Calahonda. Larisa had invited Ann & Bill as well, in keeping with her habit of always returning an invitation just as soon as she possibly can. Unfortunately they have other commitments but I know that she will not forget their hospitality towards her and will not rest until the compliment has been returned. Walking around the city today really took its toll on my poor legs and I opted to "leave them to it" this evening, returning home for a rest and a homemade Chicken Pie. Tomorrow we have to travel by buses all the way because there is not a train station handy to their hotel and it's my turn to walk the paseo to them (they are 30mins away on foot) rather than them come here as they have done so far. I'm going to lug my paellera over as well, as I don't like the one that Viktor has bought, because I believe that we are going to have a paella and that raises one issue: Aaron is not keen on seafood or fish and I haven't told her that.

No comments: