Sunday 9 November 2008

Bucks Fizzing

I'm finally re-installed in my own apartment, still putting things away etc. and getting organized after Ann & Bills' return from their holiday. I've taken some "stick" since you left because, apart from David (and Larisa of course), nobody met you while you were here so next time you come we will have to put that very much to rights. As for my new apartment; I'm really beginning to enjoy it. Although smaller than my old one (I think Bijou is an appropriate word) it's nicely refurbished and lot easier to keep clean. Cristina has been a star keeping a beady eye on me while I settle in and she is now busy refurbishing my old one for her own use. Handy that: having my Landlady living on site; takes but a minute to sort problems out.

I'm making plans to throw a dinner party for two soon and to that end two friends (of the bar and hence mine) are here from Helsinki for a few weeks and last night I discovered that they (the Finnish) have a close affinity to the Russian cuisine, sending me home with some awesome ideas for a menu! Right now I'm cooking a piece of "secreto de cerdo"; marinaded in my tomato chutney and then drizzled with a little chili sauce it is going to be served with my take on Larisa's onion and mushroom saute (I've added diced pepper and some bacon I found in the fridge curling at the edges), roast potatoes and Asparragus. I'm early with my meal because I want to go and stock-take the bar later because Teresa and I have swapped days off this week - tomorrow now being mine and I want a "clear" day to myself. Favio told me to alter the hours to 6 'til 2 at the beginning of the month, which I did but we still are going through until 3, 3-30, 4am (with no extra pay!!!) and the extra hour or more is making me quite tired.

Bill & Ann have been patiently bringing in, by the carrier bagful, stuff that I left behind but, luckily, I'd remembered to remove the Cava we never used for a sangria, and added to some of that tropical drink you liked and today I've been drinking (while cooking) quite the nicest Bucks Fizz ever invented. Bill commented about me leaving the petrol tank somewhere near empty but that's all sorted now and somewhat eclipsed by his news that on her return to America, Erica married!

No comments: