Saturday 14 March 2009

Salad Days

What a gorgeous day! A clear, blue sky, lashings of sun instead of rain and a pleasant respite from the sun's heat in a light breeze. Salad weather, which is exactly what's been put on the me-and-you for today. With some of this week's roasted chicken breast (and a little leg) I'm going to throw together a mixed salad "a la Larisa", if I can, with some Patatas Ali-Oli (remember them?) on the side. That's if I can still stand up after having already opened the vino that I bought to go with it (I'm over 2 hours away from eating), namely, a Mateus Rose. I also bought another piece of pork loin - cerdo cinta trozo - today which has been divided into 3, 1 piece of which is going to be used tomorrow to perfect a recipe that I've been working on and if Lary and I get to see each other on Monday we'll reap that benefit with the other 2 pieces conveniently defrosted while I travel. Travel? Finally a lead into something I've been wanting to tell you for a couple of weeks now. Mentioning no names for fear of giving ages away, the other week, on a trip into Malaga, I was made aware that the over 60's (grin) can, for 5euros, buy a special card, valid for a year, that entitles them to a 40% discount on ALL rail travel here. I bought mine when on the way to the airport on Wednesday courtesy of 5euros I found slipped (for that very purpose) into one of the birthday cards I received on the 27th. Oh, what the heck, thanks Beryl, XXX. I am also led to believe that the same card, issued by RENFE, also works for internal flights here in Spain, which just might mean my trip to Simferopol later this year could be cheaper than Lary's!! But, before that, I can now more easily fulfill my boyish desire to ride the AVE High Speed train to Madrid and back, one Monday, coming soon. Does life begin at 40? No!!!! It began for me at 55 and you continue to read an ongoing (hopefully never ending) story.

Tuna in the salad accommpaning my bit of breast and leg?...er...no...I'm English! (sorry Dad, but the bad grammar just kinda'works here. Oops, sorry again!)

No comments: