Monday 4 February 2008

Pancake Day

Tomorrow is Shrove Tuesday and I seem to have let myself in for doing pancakes in the bar. OK, no problem as they say but it means that I have to go back later tonight to see Favio (when he calls in while waiting for Ana-Mary) to check with him that a little bit of cooking is allowed. What I intend to do is make a load of batter here in the apartment then transport it along to the bar along with a frypan, some butter and an electric hotplate and cook to order (should I get any that is). Traditional Pancake Day fare....a pancake rolled with Lemon Juice and Sugar. Should be fun, it's a long time since I tossed a pancake in public.

BTW I baked this week's loaf yesterday. Due to circumstances beyond my control, having started at midday with blending the flour, salt, yeast and liquid, it didn't go into the oven until after work at 2200hrs or thereabouts, with the interim time being used for 1st and 2nd provings. It came out perfectly, just like a shop-bought one. I haven't got an airing cupboard so I can't provide a warm spot for the dough to rise in but yesterday I accidently learned that hours of proving time, rather than minutes, are best here in my apartment.

0030 I'm back from seeing Favio only I didn't get to ask him personally about whether it was OK for me to cook in the bar; I ended up walking a customer home who was otherwise slightly unstable on his feet and when I got back the question had already been asked by Ana-Mary and Beryl and I was told "yes". So, pancakes tomorrow it is, and I've had to promise to save one for Ana-Mary. Anyone know how to make the damn things cos I don't?!! :-)

No comments: