Sunday 23 September 2007

Hasta la Pasta

The inspiration (if that's what it is) for this dish has come from something I saw Rick Stein do with some posh ingredients like Crayfish Tails, Sea Salt and Fresh Herbs in one of his TV programmes. Me? I've modified it slightly with frozen this, dried that and "own brand" (cheap) the other which all means that only Mr Stein's idea remains, whatever it was! He's my favourite chef this side of the known universe so don't get me wrong but I generally have to work with what I feel is affordable, because it keeps the costs down, and change things to accomodate that constraint. He had fresh crayfish, I've got frozen prawn, he had some pasta, so have I!!! So let's go put a pan or two on....BTW, my result is NOTHING LIKE Mr Stein's creation, his just inspired my idea...that's all, but I will try his version if ever I win a lottery.

Pasta con gambas a la crema (makes a meal for one)
INGREDIENTS
75g Frozen Prawns (thawed)
1/2 an onion
2 cloves of garlic
Olive Oil
1 Portion of Frozen spinach.
1 portion of pasta (I used 3/4 cup of 'coloured' twists)
Approx 150ml of creme fraiche (see method notes)
1 tspn Dried Basil
Salt & Pepper
Grated parmesan garnish
Watercress (Berros) for garnish

PREP
Finely dice the onion
crush & chop the garlic
Put a pan of water on to boil.

METHOD
For the sauce: Using a frypan barely soften the onion and garlic, seasoned with some black pepper, in a glug of Olive Oil then add the frozen spinach plus a pinch of salt and sauté gently according to the Spinach pack instructions (probably about 5 mins or so, frequently stirring to break the frozen spinach down), then add enough creme fraiche to make things 'saucy' enough for you, the prawns and the tspn of Basil. Heat through. Keep warm.

For the Pasta: When the pan of water is boiling add some salt and your pasta and cook until done to taste.

To complete: Add the (reheated if necessary) prawn sauce to the drained pasta and turn all over to coat well. Serve dressed with grated Parmesan cheese and watercress.

Leftovers? Half used packets? Stick 'em back in the fridge, quick. Waste not want not. We are cooking for one here in the main and the aim is not to throw anything away....planning ahead helps, so think about it. Soon I will publish a starter based on two ingredients that were (probably) left over from this recipe.

No comments: