Saturday 15 September 2007

In the Interim

I know I said a few posts ago that I was going to start publishing some of my recipes on the website, and that since then all I have done (it seems) is post some of my cooking adventures here. The problem is that the HTML is not complete yet for the site but here I just log in and type away, effectively getting my stuff saved for posterity (yes it's a poor excuse but I've got no floppies!). So, for the time being, and in between other stuff, I'll be posting recipes and you'll never guess what.......

Lentejas
Traditionally in England Lentil Soup was always made using the stock from a Boiled Bacon or Gammon Joint and I remember my Mother doing just that. It was gorgeous and the appreciation of her creation has since turned into a passion for the things. Spain also loves her Lentejas but she cooks them in a slightly different way and my problem is that both ways are divine in their own right so, over the last 3 years I've tried, for myself, to combine the English and Spanish styles into one. I think I've finally succeeded and I hope that you will agree (but if you can't I still hope that you like what follows). NOTE that I have optioned Bacon for Chorizo but I do believe that Chorizo links (for frying) are available more-or-less worldwide these days.

INGREDIENTS
Olive Oil
1 Chorizo sausage (about 5inch/12cm length) OR 100g streaky bacon
1 onion
4 fat garlic cloves
1 large Carrot
1.5 sticks celery
2 tspns Cumin Seed
2 tspns Coriander Seed
USING BACON? ...... 1 tspn Tumeric
1 large Bay Leaf
1 Chicken Bouillon Cube
4 cups water
1/2 cup Brown/Green Lentils
4-5 sprigs Fresh Parsley
1 tspn Ground Black Pepper
3 pinches Salt
1 tblspn Tomato concentrate
White wine Vinegar

TOOLS
Largish Saucepan
Frying Pan
American Cup measures
Spoon Measures
Pestle & Mortar
Cooks Knife
Chopping Board
Hand Blender

PREP
Finely slice the chorizo / finely dice bacon rashers
Chop onion
Dice carrot
Dice celery
Roughly chop Parsley
Dry roast then grind the Cumin & Coriander seeds

METHOD
In a glug of hot Olive Oil start to fry the Chorizo / bacon. After a minute or so add the onion, garlic, carrot and celery and continue (regularly stirring) the fry until the veg just starts to brown . Add the spices/pepper/salt and stir them in. Add 4 cups of water, the crushed boullion cube, Bay Leaf, Parsley, tomato concentrate and lentils. Stir and cook over a low heat until all is tender. Remove the Bay Leaf and blitz with a Hand Blender until roughly pureed and then stir in 2 tspns of white wine vinegar. Serve with crusty bread. Here in Spain it is essential that at the table more White Wine Vinegar is available as a condiment.

No comments: