Friday 7 September 2007

Now who's worrying!!

Yesterday I feel that I managed to perfect my version of 'Lentejas' (pronounced Lentechas with the CH as in Loch), Lentil Soup. So, very soon I'm going to start doing what some have suggested that I should do and begin publishing my recipes for stuff I make for myself, probably on the website. And, as I am implying, the first will be my 'Lentejas'.

No news yet about that job Larisa was enquiring about. But she did txt me at 11pm on Wednesday to ask how I was, that she was just "regular" and had I found the keys. I didn't mention in my last that when the time came for us to leave for the train station I couldn't find the keys. Not a major problem, obviously they were here somewhere because I'd let us in the night before and there is a spare set to deal with the present situation. But we spent some time scrabbling around for them, to no avail.

"Estoy regular" means that she is 'so, so' in English and yesterday morning I over-reacted somewhat by sending back that she must come here where I can look after her and she can rest. "Thanks but I am fine now, it was just the drink I had". That figures, I was not at my best on Wednesday either. In fact I realized while in HiperSol, the supermarket, with Ann that I really didn't want to be there due to my belly being a bit queezy. That's what happens when Wine (with the meal) and Spirits (at the bar) are "mixed" in the same evening. We know that we shouldn't do it but we always do (we being a generalization.)

I found the keys on the floor under the Dining Table while making that second cup of tea after getting back from the station.

Some of my babies need some TLC. I've got a few weeds to deal with. It must be the birds leaving seed behind while foraging for nesting material as they do but it's funny how not every pot on my terrace has aquired some weeds. Anyway, a little gardening is in order today I think. Lunch is some soup, dinner is Salad (including some Russian Salad I made yesterday with the classic Oil, vinegar and mustard dressing, and beetroot I pickled Wednesday evening). The weather is cooler and very conducive to an afternoon's picnic and potter in the 'garden', barechested.
Nice, the weather that is :-) Mind you, the current 5 day isn't too good. Plenty of cloudiness and some rain is forecast.

1600hrs and I've just got back from the shops. I needed to buy some more ingredients so that I can redo the Lentejas, this time recording the quantities etc. and guess what, I've got a new flavour to try. Coriander, Cilantro, Dhania, Chinese (or Mexican) parsley, call it what you will, I've always wanted to try it in this recipe but every time I've needed it it's not been available. Now I've got some, so, while there is still some soup of the last batch left which was made using fresh parsley I'm going to make some more using fresh Coriander instead then taste and compare and finally decide which to publish. Trouble is I've also bought some cooking sherry and I'm making sure that it really is full-bodied (as claimed) as I write....................

Tell you what, wash your hands and follow along with me, then post a comment about the flavour etc. using the comments link at the bottom of this post. History in the making, and you read about it here first! Let's go make some Lentejas.

TOOLS
8 inch saucepan
American cup measures
spoon measures
Cooks knife
chopping board
Veg peeler
Colander / sieve
Pestle & mortar

INGREDIENTS (makes about 4 portions)
I've been unusually precise about my quantities (believe me).
3 cups / 675ml Water
1 dspn White wine vinegar. (Dessert Spoon)
1 tblsp Olive Oil ("Sabor Intenso, strong flavour" if you can find it).
100g Cintas de Bacon (Diced thick-cut bacon/ham)
1 smallish onion (about 2inch / 5cms dia) finely diced
1 celery stick finely diced (+ if handy, some green leaf top of celery, chopped)
3 carrots (4inch / 10cms or so each) finely diced
Fresh leaf Coriander (Strip 4 stalks) chopped
1/2 cup washed Lentils (Green or Brown). I use 'no soak'.
3/4 tspn salt
2 large cloves garlic
1 dspn cumin seed (Dessert Spoon)
1 tspn Celery Seed
1.5 tspn ground black pepper

PREPARATION
Dice / chop bacon, veg and green herb (Here in Spain we can buy cintas de bacon, diced bacon!)
Wash the lentils in a colander or sieve to remove dust etc.
Mash together the garlic and salt with a pestle and mortar then add the cumin seed and create a paste of the three.

METHOD
Add everything to the saucepan, bring to a boil and, on a very low heat, allow to simmer for at least the length of time your chosen Lentils require. After ensuring that everything is tender remove two (2) ladlefulls and blitz them to a puree. Return that puree to the pan, stirring it in to thicken and either immediately serve or portion and cool for longterm keeping in the fridge/freezer.

What do you think? It's good huh?

Now I can publish. Coriander wins. Must be the carrot, which proves that carrot and coriander are a combination made in heaven as are Lentils and Cumin. Perfecto.

2000hrs
Tomorrows planned meal has gone out the window...there is no Cooking sherry left, can't think why.

No comments: