Sunday 13 July 2008

High Season Blues

The last of the Cherry Tomatoes have been harvested and added to those in the picture to make yet another batch of Chutney. Paco sent me these two, fresh from his garden, via Anna and they really are HUGE (that's a smallish dinner plate under). I've also snipped a few leafy vines from the plants to add to the flavour infusion. Anna and Paco have both fallen for my concoction big time so they are getting some more when they come back from Sweden in a couple of weeks time.

Late last night Ana-Mary left her friends and family at their table and came and sat with me at the bar. "How are things Derek?" started a conversation off, virtually all in Spanish, about this and that.
"Has Favio told you about the Dinner we are having?"
"Yes"
"We have put it back until after Anna returns because she is invited."
"Dare I ask what is on your menu Ana-Mary?"
"I am not cooking, we are going to go out to a restaurant."
Blah blah blah etc etc etc. It turns out that because her day off is a Sunday it will be difficult to find a restaurant open that will be suitable.
"Can't you just take a day off?"
"No, not this time of year because it is High Season and not allowed."
Then I told her that I had been invited to go away for a few days soon by my friend and had declined for much the same reason ie not expecting to get the time off. Funnily enough, though, November, which is when Beryl took her holiday, was busier than it is now! In Bar Ana at least. Anna told me the other day that July was always "bad", even in her day and Ana-Mary agreed with that, saying she'll be glad when August arrives and things start to pick up. We carried on talking....she's going to bring me in a recipe she likes for Lomo de Cerdo (Pork Loin), I said that I was disappointed not to be sampling her cooking which I'm told is extremely good. "Another day" was the reply and so on and so on. Last week she said to me that I try too hard to be perfect in my Spanish.."just let it come out Derek, if it's wrong it wont matter, you will be understood most of the time so stop worrying about getting it right." And I think that that is why she sat down with me last night....to make me practise, and I did quite well. I think.

All will help with talking to Larisa of course although these last two times I have seen her Viktor has been there and this last Wednesday we engaged in a little private "man-talk" (at his instigation) which has given me a much appreciated insight into her and her feelings towards me. He is becoming a very important person in both our lives I think. Roll on more Wednesdays!!

No comments: