Wednesday 4 February 2009

This & That

Still no sign that Larisa has seen the eCard that I sent on Monday so today I'm going to follow-up with a proper email in answer to hers. A cosy little job for this evening once all the chores are done, assuming she doesn't beat me to it with a phonecall wondering what's happening.

There has been an awful lot of interest, from a BBC food forum of all places, in my piece about Secreto de Cerdo over the last two days. How's it butchered? How does the name translate? How to cook it? etc. etc. I buy it fairly regularly and do different things with it but the mention of slow cooking on the forum intrigues me so I've bought another piece this morning to do just that with. Dinner sorted? No! I promptly forgot that I had it in my basket and bought a Trout as well. So Trout today because the pork can be frozen. This one I'm going to "Devil" with some designer salad leaves on the side (which I didn't forget.)

My plan, last week, to buy a small Laptop (actually a so-called "Netbook") with XP on board fell through because the shop did not deliver and it was the end of the January offers. Yesterday I happened to pick up February's catalogue from the stand outside the shopdoor only to find the same extremely cheap deal still being advertised so, today, in I went. The chap greeted me with a smile, picked up the phone without me saying a word and on Friday I am to collect. "For sure this time" he says. I'll believe it when the inbuilt webcam shows me staring back at myself from this sofa. Via WiFi I might even be able to show you me working behind the bar one evening.

Torremolinos Council are working hereabouts trying to improve the drainage in an attempt to stop the flooding that inevitably occurs when it rains hard. Suffice to say that on Sunday night a Fire Engine was summoned to Calle Peligro to pump cellars out after the deluge that evening. Halfway up the steps they are laying bigger storm drains and my photo shows the current impediment being suffered by those who choose to climb them rather than use the lift. I say storm drains; actually the pipe might be a sewer because I heard said that there was raw sewage flowing down them at the height of the flood. I believe that Ole-Erik took some video of the cascade and it would be interesting to post a framegrab here if the images are good. Water in flow is notoriously difficult to photogragh and I haven't yet taken the chance to try with my camera which has a "water" mode but next time it rains hard enough, and if the new pipes don't work, I will give it a try myself.

Ok, time to get on...it's Wednesday...where the devil is that Trout? Soup this week? Carrot & Coriander - always wanted to do it and Delia says that either Chicken or Veg stock is good to start and guess what I've just put on to simmer for a while. Actually I'm spoilt for choice today because I've also got the Chicken Pickins that would make a nice rechaufee of some sort or another but fresh trout is fresh trout, the chicken can chill out for another day I'm sure.

No comments: