Saturday 4 August 2007

Chuleca Blanca Por Favor

White waistcoats do exist, don't they? I thought so. One featured in "Alice thro' the Looking Glass" and more recently in the film "Apollo 13" but can I get one here in Torre? No! So? Well, I've mentioned the upcoming Dinner Date and guess what, I want a new Party Frock. And that's where the white waistcoat should've come in, along with a black shirt, white trousers and shoes. But it's got to be a black one, so now I'm in a qwandry about colour co-ordination....black on white, white on black, black on black? I thought that I had it all worked out but I've kept all options open by buying black and white trousers, shirts and shoes so that I can mix-n-match to my hearts content in the quiet of my own dressing room!

Last night found me (as did everyone else) in Ana's Bar, doing what I've been bid; making my presence felt (another story), complete with above mentioned shopping. A Dutch Lady by the name of Helda (I think) came in. She and I both like to sit in the same seat and, if she gets there first, she keeps it, but if I do, I give it up to her. Luckily we are not always in the bar at the same time so the arrangement (if it is one) works quite well. Anyway, that's what I did, moving my bags with me at the same time. Time crept on until eventually she said across the bar because I'd moved to the other side "Derek? I have to know what's in the bags!" (I can't do her accent here but it is very sweet). "Clothes, a new Party Frock Helda", "Party? You are going to a party?" "Not exactly. I have been promised Dinner one evening soon and I want to dress for it." "Anything to do with that young lady you were dancing with in here the other night?" "Dancing? I wasn't dancing!" "Oh yes you were!" "Beryl?" (She is the barmaid) "Was I dancing the other night?" " 'Fraid so! Having a whale of a time the pair of you and very nice too. Don't worry!" "Yes Helda, everything to do with her" "Let me see what you have then" So I showed her what I had bought while telling her that it was not quite what I had wanted. And with her expert help in the ways of High Fashion I have now plumped for a Salmon shirt under the black waistcoat with white trousers and shoes. "You have to let me see it all on you" "OK, I promise I'll parade here soon just for you. What colour dicky bow or Tie?" "DON'T WEAR A TIE!! keep it open-necked and casual - ties are not 'in' these days!" "Sorry Helda, I was just asking, no tie then." "NO! I won't like you in a tie." Which made me wonder for an instant just exactly who I am supposed to be dressing up for.

No comments: