Wednesday 1 August 2007

Wont be Beaten

Last Saturday I bought a family pack of Chicken Breasts and one more is tonight being 'volunteered' for a second go at my idea for a "Chicken Torre" based on the Chicken Kiev idea. I don't fancy the fatty extravagance of a butter stuffing so instead, this time, I am using low fat herbed cream cheese with a hint of Danish Blue added as an accent. Slightly different to the attempt on Sunday.
Let's see what happens.

There are 2 ways to do this...cut, fill and cover or roll. I'm (again) going to try the rolling method.

1. Bash a breast out to about 1/4in or so thick between sheets of clingfilm or greaseproof. (I trimmed the fillet off and bagged it into the freezer for stir frying another day).
2. Spread a couple of teaspoons of cream cheese into a thin sausage along the length of one side of the breast but don't go right to the ends. Top this with some crumbs of Blue cheese and a little finely grated onion and garlic. Roll up, using toothpicks if necessary to seal edges and ends.
3. Place into a suitable dish, cover loosely with Ali foil and bake for 25mins or so in a hot oven at 180C.



While I'm waiting for the chicken to cook I can introduce you to Katrina again. Probably the most beautiful young lady on this planet. Studying in Russia to become a Lawyer. One of the qwerks of student life is the long summer holiday while at University so hence, no doubt, that is why she is able to spend a month here in Spain visiting her Aunt.




What makes a Kiev a "Kiev" is of course the Deepfried Breadcrumb coating and that is the bit I was unable to do on Sunday (due to problems with my choice of filling etc that day.) But right now things are looking good, the bake is nearly done and the Fine cut chips are ready. Peas are the other classic side to a Kiev and tonight, just for myself, I'm going to do it properly...Chicken, Chips Juilienne and peas.

4. When done in the oven, remove toothpicks if used and let rest. (Mine has come out perfectly, none of the filling has leaked!)
5. Dust with seasoned flour, roll in beaten egg and then breadcrumbs (which I bought). Then refrigerate for 1/2 hour or so
6. Deepfry chips until done (but not fully browned) and remove to cool. KEEP OIL HOT.
TIP
....I was taught some while ago that, in a deepfat fryer, when it floats, it's done! Clever ruse, it's true.
7. Prepare some frozen peas according to packet instructions.
8. When chips are cool carefully add the Kiev to the fry basket and replace in hot oil until chips and Kiev are attractively browned. Eh? Yes, I know it's all floating, this is about presentation, otherwise known as 'The Feast of the Eyes'!!!!

Plate up and VOILA!! Awesome even if I say so myself.

I was told off on Sunday. I buy a Rosé Wine that is bottled and corked in a similar fashion to Champagne or Cava, because like those it is very bubbly. It only costs 1.29euros and I commented that I had this cheap bottle of plonk handy. I soon found out that it's not the price it's the thought etc!!! Actually I'm always buying it because it is very, very drinkable. As she found out. Look for "Champolion" and try it. Comes as a white as well as rosé. I'm halfway through the bottle I just happen to have here right now.

No comments: