Thursday 9 August 2007

So, what's planned then?

I know that Sunday is a lifetime away but already I am planning the menu for my 3 guests, I have invited David as well, because Ann is away in Ireland and he is all on his ownsome and he may well express his gratitude later with some Smoked Haddock! I have to say also, that after discussing menu ideas with Tina this afternoon over a wine or two in the Red Lion, some of her cracking thoughts have been included in what follows.

Here in Spain it seems to me that a meal often comprises of a series of light "platos" eaten either simultaneously or separately. For my menu on Sunday I have opted for the separate option. But, in my case, I intend to serve separate, different, starter courses, informally, slowly, over a few hours (and drinks) before a Main is formally presented. I realize that I am not sticking strictly to the convention, if there is one and that the starters will actually be more in the style of Tapas but whether this perception of mine regarding Spanish cuisine is right or wrong I don't care. Time is always limited but we can stretch it out to best advantage!! The more courses....the longer the party continues. So, with that in mind and with Tina's help in the planning, the following is what will be on offer:

APERITIVO (Recepción)
Sangria blanca (Cava based white Sangria)
(Score - Me 1)

PRIMERO(S)
Bombas con Tuna (Deep Fried Mashed Potato Balls stuffed with Tuna).
Huevos Rellenos con Mostaza y Mayonesa (Eggs stuffed with mustard & mayonaise)
Espinacas a la crema con queso de fundir (Creamed Spinach finished with melting cheese)
Ajo blanco (cold garlic and almond soup)
Albóndigas con Salsa de tomate (Meatballs in Tomato sauce)
(Score - Tina 2, Me 3)

SEGUNDO
Paella
(Score - me 1)

POSTRE
Crepes Suzette
(Score Tina 1)
(I win!! 5 to 3)

I have opted for this (slow) method of presentation because:
A) Tummies will not fill up before the Piéce de Resistance
B) The party will go no faster than my speed in the kitchen and I can manage that element to my advantage! Selfish? You bet!
But I can see another 4am rising in the offing.

No comments: