Sunday 23 December 2007

It's not True

The rain in Spain does not fall mainly on the plain! For 39 hours now we have been inundated with water almost continuously and...oops....there's the first flash & bang.....exactly as forecast much has been extremely heavy. Which is why I'm up, the noise is enough to stop me from sleeping. And now we have thunder. Good 'ere innit! Costa del Agua. The neighbour is up and about as well by the sound of it so I'm not the only light sleeper round here. Another flash and...yes....not too far away judging by the time interval to the bang. Funnily enough the website weather reports are only showing Mist and that's because the 'METAR' from Station LEMG (Malaga Aeropuerto) seems to be defying convention - showing both Mist and Heavy Rain as the weather phenomenon, although mist and rain do not normally go together. Strange. Maybe there's a new boy on the job who can't tell exactly why he can't see very far so he's hedging his bets. There is also a software issue here as well because the available information is not being properly decoded. The first 'weather phenomenon' element in the METAR is "BR" (Mist) followed by "+RA" (Heavy Rain) but only the first is being read by the decoder.

Midday
I'm back up again after a bad nights sleep due to the noise of the rain and I have just sent a txt inviting Larisa to Christmas Dinner with me here at the apartment. She's probably already organised and will decline, we'll see. I also sent her one on Friday asking about seeing her over this weekend and she called me back by voice! Needless to say the comms totally failed due to my inability to understand what she was saying.

Yesterday I broke the record again in the bar. A busy session. And today I'm expecting to have to host a singsong so it could be another good one. Favio must be pleased with the way things are going because as I tried to leave last night (having returned after dinner for a nightcap) Ana-Mary told me to wait, "Favio has something to give to you". A box of bottles by the sound of it but I couldn't bring them home because it was chucking it down at the time so I left them there under the watchful eye of Beryl. It was also nice to meet someone from the UK who reads this blog and came in to meet me in person.

The supermarket got the Turkey joint packs in on Thursday, better late than never I suppose, and I now have mine. I have to do shopping for veg tomorrow (in Fuengirola where I can get a parsnip) then I'm all set. It's a normal day in the bar on Christmas Day so I have to be there at 5pm which means that my Dinner has to be cooked and eaten a little earlier than I would really like but never mind, I have tomorrow off. Beryl is going to open at 11pm or thereabouts which is why I have been able to book a meal in the evening at the restaurant run by Hilde's friend. "Meet me at 7-15 by the lift" she said last night over the bar, to which someone else responded that it is shut between 6 and 7....they think. "OK, I'll make my own way up the steps to make sure that I am not late" I answered. I hope the rain lets up.

No comments: