Wednesday 12 December 2007

Yorkshire Tea & Crumpet

"Can we bring you anything back from Gibraltar?" asked Ann S a week or so ago "because we are going there for a day or two soon". My shopping list was Yorkshire Tea and Beef Suet. They (her and Bill) came into the bar earlier this evening sporting a carrier bag. "For you" said she. "15Euros" said he. Deal done I poked a nose in - Yorkshire Tea, no Suet but, and wait for it......., crumpets!! "Couldn't get Beef Suet, they only had the veggie one". OK, the puds are on hold, dumplings I am doing suet-less now anyway but I could die for a bit of crumpet. I reckon that Ann's got a seventh sense or maybe she reads this blog or maybe I natter about things in the bar. Who cares. I got 6 crumpets. Well, I did have, they are all gone now. Some greedy bugger ate the lot earlier and is now suffering indigestion bigstyle. But I now know that my homemade ones are very close to the mark; just got to get the right number of holes in each one. I must get back on that quest having also proved tonight that the Marmite idea works very well. Oh yes.

Quick trip back down to the bar after dinner for indigestion medication. ???. "I got something for you Derek". Eh? What is this, Christmas? Oh, hello Hilde. "You want know what to eat? My friend has made menus, you should choose and me tell". Isn't Dutch so much like English!? There's a little story to this actually. Yesterday, before I went back to the bar after dinner, Beryl had said to Hilde that Derek wants to know what the menu is. "I don't tell him, it's a surprise" said she. When I walked in she repeated that..."I don't tell you what you eat, Derek, it's a surprise" My vacant expression caught Beryl's attention and she explained what had come to pass in the previous hour or so. I can't remember the rest of the banter that passed but Hilde enjoys a good giggle and that she had for sure. But now she has my choice of Prawns in Whisky sauce, Steak Fillet Roses in another kind of sauce and Salmon Fillet in yet another kind of sauce (I wrote it down for her but not for me. Tomorrow I'll clarify it all here.) But it all sounds very nice, Chef has me sorted at least and I'm happier about how my 40 euros is to be spent. It's a champagne reception by the way.

As for my Vodka, sorry, medication - it was taken in solitude after Hilde left. Favio will play Spanish music, loudly....it's Tuesday you see, Beryl's night off. My shift went very nicely, thankyou.

No comments: