Saturday 19 April 2008

Business as Usual


I have to work as normal today so I cannot go to Juan's Funeral in Benalmádena at 5pm. A few folk here have found the fact that Favio has not chosen to keep the bar closed until after the service as a mark of respect for one of his stalwart regulars (which would then allow me to attend) as somewhat insensitive to put it mildly. But then maybe it's the Spanish way. I know that Ana-Mary doesn't understand the tradition, in the UK, of a wake after a funeral because she quizzed me, on the way home to open the bar, about "how can you drink and be happy" after the service for Ann. Anyway, not to be outdone, I will be wearing black throughout my shift and hopefully a few of the mourners will return to the bar after to join me for a little while. It's raining again which means that I am having to dry my washing indoors in front of a fire but hopefully all will be well by the time I have to get changed!!

Thanks to Helen in Florida I'm able to post a picture here. To him I was, jokingly, known as "Eengleesh" and we had many a comic moment in the bar together in the short time that I had to get to know him. Everybody loved him. Everybody misses him.

No comments: