Tuesday 15 April 2008

My take on Escabeche

David returned yesterday from laying Ann to rest in Ireland, arriving in the evening to be met by friends of his who had travelled ahead. They came to the bar to take a pre-dinner drink and David commented to me during the general conversation that "if you don't mind, perhaps you can come to mine once or twice over the next couple of weeks and cook for the both of us". I'm looking forward to that.

Ana-Mary and Favio visited Juan in hospital yesterday. The Chemotherapy he is undergoing is taking its toll and word is that his cancer has spread, or is spreading.

Talking of cooking for David.........a friend of mine also came in yesterday and, half jokingly, said "I'll get some girls together, we´ll have a girly night in at yours and you can cook!" Trouble is I think she's serious, she's hinted at me cooking for her before. But not squid. It was a discussion about whole baby Squid on a plate that prompted the above. Maybe towards the weekend I'll know more on that front, or maybe not, as I said she's done this before and nothing has come of it. We'll see.

The re-potted Petunias are recovering well and yesterday I bought a 50litre bag of compost to use as a Growbag for the tomatoes. Mind you the cost was a far cry from that which I use to pay in the UK. I remember getting growbags for 99p, here this bag of stuff cost 10€. Ouch. But the the local towncentre shop where I bought it doesn't stock "proper" growbags.

OK, I've got a recipe together based on Cecilia´s Ceviche (ignoring my original idea to use the Grapefruit skin as a dish, not a good one!) and I've followed in the tradition of the classic Peruvian Dish but modified it slightly to reflect the dish's title's root in the Spanish Language and as I've produced it here in Spain,
a) I'm going to list the ingredients in Spanish.
b) Give the English equivalents and
c) I'm going to call it:
Escabeche de Andalucia

INGREDIENTS (makes a largish portion for 1)
50g Migas de Bacalao Tradicional (desalado).
1 doz Gambas Arronado cocido.
1 Pomero.
1/2 de 1 Cebollita Tierna.
1 grande partió del ajo.
1 pequeña chile roja.
Pimienta verde.
Jengibre fresco.
Pimenton picante ahumado.
Vinagre de Jerez.
Perejil fresco.
Cilantro fresco.
Cebolletas.

50g Cod fillet, unsalted
1 doz Shrimps, cooked and peeled
1 Grapefruit
Half a smallish onion
1 large clove of Garlic
1 Small Red Chilli Pepper
2 tablespons finely diced Green Pepper
Fresh Ginger
Hot Paprika (smoked if you have it).
Sherry Vinegar
Fresh Parsley
Fresh Coriander
Chives

METHOD
Finely slice, paper thin, the cod and onion and place in a bowl. Add the minced garlic, finely chopped red pepper (see note), green pepper, the peeled and cooked Shrimp and a few strips of very finely julienned Ginger. Drizzle over a tablespoon of Sherry Vinegar then add the (broken-up) flesh and juice of a Grapefruit with a pinch of the Hot Paprika, some chopped Parsley and some chopped Coriander. Toss over to coat and marinate in the fridge for 6 hours, turning over a couple of times. Serve garnished with chives on some Lettuce leaves with Sweetcorn on the side.

NOTE
The small red chillis that I managed to buy are quite hot so be careful to adjust (to taste) the amount that you use possibly opting to leave out the seeds, which I didn't. Phew!!

No comments: