Tuesday 10 June 2008

At Peace with my Lily

Thanks go to the person who, on the strength of my recent photo of a Lily Bloom sent me a comment "the real name for this plant is Peace Lily - Spathiphyllum". That information has enabled me to further identify my specimen as Spathiphyllum Cochlearispathum. I now know that it is a Houseplant that prefers lowish levels of light and takes water slowly. Well, mine is in full sunlight and drinks like a fish. There are 7 blooms this time, the second blooming this year so I am assuming that it is actually quite happy with its lot, but I might move it to a shadier locale to see if that stops the browning of the leaf tips, that you can just see in the photo, now that I have these "horticultural tips" to bear in mind, and while I'm in green-finger mode I'll also add a picture of my developing tomato fruits for you to drool over. My two plants appear to be setting fruit quite profusely. It'll soon be chutney time and I'm beginning to hope that I'll get quite a few jars made! Towards that end I made up a load of my favourite Curry Powder blend yesterday, ready, only I misread the measurements (despite having used the recipe for years and years and years) and ended up with 4 times as much as I normally do. Luckily I had a big enough tin to store it all in and I believe that it will keep for 18 months or so in a dark and cool place so no worries there.

I'm beginning to notice that my trousers are getting tighter around the waist; a phenomenom that I am attributing to eating too late in the day ie not long before I go to bed. And that despite plenty of Fish, Chicken (low fat?) and veg!! So. Change of plans. Get into the habit of cooking and eating my main meal before I go to work and no "Carbs" after 2130. Great, might work. What happened last night? Ana-Mary brought a bloody great big fresh cream cake into the bar for me and Beryl to share between us!! I'll (re)start the diet today. Chicken Curry anyone??

No comments: