Wednesday 25 June 2008

Hot Stuff

Last night in the bar the conversation was mostly about the heat of the day and the fact that the bar was quiet (which it was) because people had spent the day on the beach and were back in their rooms/apartments "drained" of energy etc. Checking the data for the day on the website weather page I can see that the high was 35C / 95F, achieved at about 1pm, and held (more or less) for approx 5 hours. Don't forget that that is a shade temperature; out in the sun the heat is a lot worse (somebody had a thermometer go "off the scale", beyond 50C, in the full sun.) Luckily, at the same time, the humidity plummeted to around 20% keeping the "feel" comfortable although later it climbed to 80% as the temperature fell to give an evening which felt quite "close". I believe that yesterday was the hottest day so far this year and everything seems set for more of much the same for a few days yet.

Larisa and I are meeting later today (this morning she is busy and I am to call back later) which gives me time to go and get some veg to finish off my stock/soup pot. She asked what I wanted to do and I have absolutely no idea and it's difficult to decide bearing in mind that right now I don't know where, exactly, we are actually going to meet. Time will tell.

1245 and I've just had a call from Beryl, passing on a message from Favio, "can you go to the accountant with.. blah blah blah". We are, of course, in the last week before Beryl formally retires next Monday and now it seems that panic is setting in to get my papers and contract etc in order. At such short notice I can't drop everything (especially getting ready to meet Lary) so Beryl has kindly connived with me to say that I am already in Calahonda and therefore cannot get there until tomorrow. Manana, manana as they say in Spain!

1600 Actually we've just arranged to meet at 7o'clock in Torre town centre. The builders swept their muck up while I was out at the shops but I'm still not going to consider inviting her back here. Everywhere needs a good mopping still and I can now hear more banging which means more rubble and dust that may well be left where it lies, on the stairs, because it is nearly knocking-off time. And I'm pretty confident that she'll go home tonight anyway in order not to risk missing Russia play football tomorrow (on Russian TV), which I believe is against Spain but I'm no expert on such matters. Still no idea what to do while we are together tonight though. El Bajondillo to watch Ana-Mary sing?? We'll see. Now here's a plan; quick bite to eat in Lanjaron Nuevo, down to El Bajondillo for 9pm or so and let her organise the usual lift home as suits. But then, I don't wear the trousers!! And to top it all: the Chicken Soup (Chicken, Leek and Potato to be precise) is the best yet, seasoned with plenty of smoked paprika. Hot stuff indeed!

1700 Beryl has just rung to confirm that manana is perfectly OK for the outstanding business with the Gestoria and that sometime after 10am will be fine. Having had to wash my shirt twice today because, the first time, out on the line near the tomato plants, it acquired the most luminescent green stain, I have completed all the ironing needing to be done and my rumbling tum is reminding me that I haven't eaten yet today either so, if we do eat out I'll surely enjoy the meal as well as her company.

No comments: