Sunday 29 June 2008

Sunday Treat

Today I'm going to do a little something special for dinner....Rinones a la casera / "homemade Kidneys" and have just been out to get a potato and some white wine with which to create it and on my way to the shop, at the bottom of the steps, I bumped into Ole-Erik, my neighbour, literally just arriving from Norway. It's sort of comforting to know that immediate neighbours are about again because, at the moment, I do not have any for a block or more in either direction.

The dish is typically Spanish, which I am going to serve with Patatas Pobre, and it is very cheap...kidneys (and liver come to that) are not frequently used in Spanish cuisine. In fact the meat cost me almost nothing. Richard fulfilled a request a few weeks ago to get me some Kidneys on one of his regular visits to Malaga market. Deed done, he said that they cost "next to nothing", took a beer in exchange, and I was able to freeze 3 whole kidneys for future use.

Ann S gave me a lesson some while ago on how to core a kidney but can I remember the detail? No! So, I'll be going in with a sharp knife and praying that I don't do too much damage, and the potato I am not going to peel, just wash, because I like the flavour enhancement the skin gives to any potato dish, but pick a flawless potato because eyes'n'stuff will mean that you will throw slices in the bin (as I have just done, having sliced mine ready!) I am watching Michel Roux on the TV and he has just said that "people who don't cook with Butter are sad people". Mightily irresponsible - I'll be using Olive Oil thankyou very much!! Lamb or Veal kidneys are deemed to be the best so I'm told but mine are from the Pig so let's find out if they are just as good.......

Kidney in White Wine (Yes, I changed the name to reflect my "touches".)
INGREDIENTS
1 4oz (125gm) Kidney
1 glass (5 fl ozs) Dry White Wine
1 tblspn Flour
2 tblspns Red Wine Vinegar
Parsley
Black Pepper
Olive Oil
Salt

PREP
Trim and de-core then thinly slice the kidney and marinade in a little water and the vinegar for 45 minutes. Rinse well, pat dry, then season with salt and pepper.
Mix (whisk) the flour into the White Wine.

METHOD
Fry the seasoned Kidney in a dash of Olive oil for a few minutes then add the white wine mix and some black pepper and cook until the Kidney is tender. Dish, garnished with parsley, with some rice or, as I did, with "chips".

Postscript
Tonight of course is the EuroCup 2008 final and all indications are that there will not be a lot of room in the bar for paying customers. If that is the case, something drastic needs to be done!! Quite what, I don't know, but I'll be glad that Russia is not involved.

more will follow.............

No comments: