Monday 23 June 2008

St John the Baptist Day

Tomorrow is Dia de Fiesta San Juan and all the shops etc. will be shut. It kicks off at midnight tonight, though, when everybody heads for the beach and a "cleansing" bathe to wash evil spirits away. Sounds good. I remember walking the paseo last year to see plenty of folk eating , drinking and being merry around barbecues and, or, fires lit on the beach but nobody actually cleansing themselves in the sea. Unless you are involved in a group there is not much for a single person to do (except, perhaps, go for a lonely dip) on their own. Last night Teresa came in to see me and stayed for an hour or more, chatting. The folk around the place where she works are having a beach party tonight in keeping with the aforementioned tradition and, somehow or another, I've got myself invited by her to go and join in. So, provided she drops by this evening to let me know where to go on the beach (it's quite big), I've got something to do well into the small hours. All I need do is take a bottle and a bite to eat as a contribution. When did I say that the shops shut??

She called into the bar earlier to say that she was having to work this evening, and as I have said above the beach tonight is not the place for a single, uninvolved, person. It's just gone midnight and the noise coming up from the beach is gaining in decibels.

No comments: