Friday 19 September 2008

Days Full of Surprises

I woke up this morning to find that my mobile was as dead as a dodo. No amount of threats, shakings, bashings or rechargings would bring it back to life (it was fine last night) so I've had to nip up the stairs to buy another. An unexpected expense, which, at 49€, has bought a basic phone without a camera into which I have transferred the SIM in order to keep my number.

Last night was the repeat performance that Teresa and I were looking for (actually slightly better) and the new phone's first job today was to contact the brewery for an extra cask of beer over and above the order I placed with them on Wednesday. Things went well and the beer was delivered promptly while I was there this morning bottling up. A "Hi Derek" while my back was turned to the bar door doing that (making me jump out of my skin) turned out to be Teresa looking for some first-aid to a cut finger she'd suffered in her apartment. Randy was summoned and duly dealt with the situation for her, after which she and I went for a quick beer together. And here I am, back home...........

The plancha is for another day - my job was to cook a paella for Juli to try as part of her first trip to Spain. She is a Newscaster for a local TV station in her city north of Moscow who took a great interest in the proceedings and, needless to say, La Paparrazi found a camera or two and photographed me and her at the cooker. With me firmly in charge of things I found time to bring Juli into the frame with me while the Paella looked after itself. At the table the whole lot went, along with two jugs of Sangria, for which Lary and I went back down to the shop in the car because I forgot about having to buy the stuff beforehand. And that was because I was very late in arriving because the 220 sauntered into the bus station at Fuengirola well over an hour late. I actually tried to photograph the beast's Nose & Beak to show what one looks like but while we were in a standoff with the camera it barked at me and decided to move forward a little so I missed my shot.

Thursday morning I was woken up by Lary bright and early (qué pasa Mr Derek Field, todavía estás dormiendo? through a wide open door) to be told that we were going to go into Málaga and the Police Station. Katy had to get her papers ratified or something and it can only be done there at the Comisariá. 4 hours later we were safely back with the car parked in the garage without a scratch. Around 3pm the two girls decided to go out on their own, leaving me and Lary alone until my time to leave at about 4. During that time I decided that one day in the not too distant future, all things considered, I ought to ask for that job I mentioned the other day but I'll be absolutely devastated if I can't have it.

No comments: