Thursday 29 May 2008

Lo Siento

"Hola Mr Derek! Que tal?"
"Hola Larisa, ha sido mucho tiempo, y no lo se por que!"
At the bottom of the steps, outside my apartment, we met and, after the greetings, made our way at a slow amble to Ann & Bills' apartment where, bang on time just about, we were the first to arrive. I can remember Bill seeing Larisa with me in The Red Lion once but whether he was introduced then I can't remember and whether Ann has met her properly before I really don't know either. But now they have. Introductions over, a bottle of Vino Rosado was opened followed by Ann telling me to give Larisa a tour of the apartment, a duty I passed on to Bill. By halfpast five everybody was assembled and, having been introduced to Jimmy and Pat, Larisa gave David a bigger hug than I got..."mi amigo, David, mi bueno amigo, hola, que tal? Y no tengo más decir" She knew about Ann, I had primed her in my email and she enquired after more information while we were walking to the apartment. The last time that those two met was, of course, at the Bus Station in Fuengirola when I took him with me on one of mine and Lary's Dinner Dates at Méson Salamanca; the one when Katy was allowed to greet me first and pin a brooch on me while Lary watched, remember?

"Places please!" And David and Jimmy immediately took Larisa away from my side and sat her down between them, David brushing me off with a "you sit over there, out of the way" instruction. Ann's meal was superb. At least 4 different starter dishes, then the Main Course which was followed by 3 or 4 different dessert options. Absolutely delicious. Between them Jimmy and David made sure that Lary was not left out (she'd actually said to me in the lift on the way up to the 5th floor and the apartment that she wished that she could speak English and I had to tell her not to worry, that Ann, David and Jimmy could speak Spanish and that everything would be all right.) In fact it was Pat who felt left out, complaining to Jimmy about speaking too much Spanish, leaving her out of the conversation! A balance was drawn.

After teaching Lary how to say "how ya'keepin!" Jimmy then, mischieviously, waggled a finger between me and her and asked "are you two married?" which David immediately translated for her. My response was not much more than a simple "no" but hers was somewhat different. I heard the words "....y lo siento" finishing her response to which both David and Jimmy, almost in chorus, said across the table "Oh Derek? Do you realize that you have just been proposed to, that she's saying that she wishes?" My reaction was to remind her of that evening in El Bar Jardin, 3 years or more ago, when she brought her friend Victoria in to meet me. Maybe now I do have food for thought.

Between us all, the conversation, fun and laughter, out on the terrace, continued on, into the encroaching darkness, with David, Bill and Jimmy finding their voices for an impromptu singsong at the table. Larisa loved it. Her face showed it. So much so that she said at the end of everything that it was one of the best evenings that she has ever had, having spent many a moment videoing with her Mobile Phone Cam. Taking our leave we went along the road to Bar Ana, with David and Crystal, where she met Beryl again and, over a final drink, we brought things to a close. But not before I had been told that Katy is coming for a visit soon (in July I believe she said) and that on Saturday I have to cook Paella in Calahonda. Paella para ella. I wouldn't want to be doing anything else! I don't want to be anywhere else! (And this time I'll get the grey, fresh, prawns!!!!!)

Remember the caviar that she brought me back from Omsk and gave to me last time I saw her? Well I left it there in Calahonda, in her fridge, forgotten. She brought it with her, and I now have it in my fridge, safe and sound.

No comments: