Sunday 13 January 2008

Before I carry On

I'd just like to say thankyou to those that contacted me yesterday about the day's post. I usually can't send individual replies because there is never enough time in my little humdrum day but you can rest assured that all email/comments/IMs are received and read. And further to requests I've edited my Profile with contact details. Oh, and thanks to the person who unwittingly confirmed that one of my webcams actually works. Great stuff. What my Mum is going to say when she realizes that her "mail" is being read by others I don't know but I think I'll keep a low profile, just in case! ;-)

OK, It's Sunday
Egg n Bacon day with fried homemade bread but first I've got yesterday's dishwashing to do and an email to write - no, I haven't done that yet, I'm still composing the thing in my mind (and that is not easy in Spanish).
1430 and the email is away. Hopefully it will be in her inbox if she goes out this evening to check at the same time that she did yesterday. Last time I looked (an hour or so ago) it was -34C including the wind chill so rather her than me. Actually here it went right down to 3ºC last night for a little while, staying at 5ºC for the best part of the night though. That makes it the coldest night so far this year.

2145 and I'm back indoors after a relatively quiet session in the bar. The drawbridge is up, a couple of candles are lit, it's time to settle down. I haven't had my 2 glasses of Vino Tinto yet but I'm not going to go back out because I can comply with Doctors orders here, indoors, thankyou very much, courtesy of Favio's Christmas Hamper and I MIGHT even unwrap the xmas pud and steam a portion of it to celebrate 1 year and 2 weeks of no smoking (I forgot to mark the occasion on the proper anniversary, 31st Dec.) But first some Chicken for Dinner. Chicken in Vermouth to be precise, courtesy again of the aforementioned Hamper. I don't drink Vermouth, you see, because I don't like it but I sure can cook with it, I think. Put your pinny on, here we go, let's try this...

CHICKEN BLOG (Makes a meal for one)
INGREDIENTS
Olive Oil
1 small Onion
3 or 4 juicy Garlic cloves
200ml Tomato puree/Frito
6 button mushrooms, halved
1/2 cup of Sweet Vermouth
1 tblspn Lemon Juice (see notes)
1 tspn Dried Tarragon
1/2 tspn Black Pepper
Cooked, carved White & Brown Chicken meat "to taste", be liberal!!

PREP
Finely dice onion.
Crush and chop garlic
Destalk and halve button mushroom caps (discard stalks)

METHOD
Gently saute your onion and garlic for a few minutes in some Olive Oil then add the Tomato Puree/Frito, Vermouth, Lemon Juice, mushrooms, tarragon, pepper and Chicken and, using a low to medium heat, reduce the sauce by about half always paying attention to the risk of sticking ie stir it regularly. Serve with some fried rice and garnish with Spring Onion (especially the green bits, they look pretty!!)

NOTES
1) Do not chuck the mushroom stalks away, keep them handy for the next stockpot you start (or throw them into the one that you have on the go already.)
2) Use the lemon juice to adjust the sweetness of the dish.

Not bad even if I say so myself so I'll be putting the recipe up on
My Kitchen
very shortly.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello again, recipe sounds really nice, will try this on Wednesday as I'm having chicken then and not too sure what to do with it!

ItsMeinTorre said...

Hi. And thanks for the comment. I made this one up as I went, no idea how it'll turn out.

Anonymous said...

Ok, well when you have cooked it , please put a pic of on your blog, thanks, Moi x

ItsMeinTorre said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hey by the way, love your taste in music... Elton John especially got most of his CDs. Oh and another thing please tell your Mum I'm not reading your mail, so she can rest assured on that count.
Getting back to The Red Lion (or as it was :( ) going to miss that when I next come to Spain, used to love climbing up , then down, then back half way up and having a stop off there with a nice cool beer, I used to make sure I sat under the whirly fan on the ceiling in order to cool down. speak soon, carry on cooking lol , speak soon x