Saturday 19 January 2008

The Best Laid Plans.

I've got the Curry Paste bottled and ready for Anna tomorrow but I've yet to start the soup making and yesterday's dinner turned out to be a Chicken Curry instead of the Balsamic Roast because the paste had to be tested. So, now, 11pm Saturday night I'm going to cook the Balsamic Roast and chill it ready for eating tomorrow. Here's my recipe as I progress :

Olive oil and a drip or two of Toasted Sesame oil are awaiting the heated oven.
One Sweet potato has been sliced into inch thick slices which has yielded 32 (quartered) chunks. They are washing in cold water.
4 smallish Parsnips have been top, tailed, chunked and added to the washing Potato. The tops, tails and peelings are starting a new 3 pint stock pot (into which will go a Chicken carcass shortly + herbs etc, but I digress - )

Hello. Stick with me whoever you are !! Might need your help later!!

The Squash (pumpkin? A very orange flesh with a paler skin and quite sweet smelling) has been peeled and chunked into inch+ pieces and is now on the heat with other veg. The peelings and seeds etc are in the stockpot. Tough baby to peel by the way!!

I've got 8 wedges of a big red onion prepped (guess where the peelings went) and a glass of Red Wine on the side (hic!) Timeout while the veg boils. Where's that Chicken carcass?? Oh yes, in the fridge.

Can't drink while cooking?? Just watch me!! At least I know that the gravy will be good (not that there's ever any left of course. CHEERS!!)

Stock (Chicken) is now on the heat as well. Could be a late night waiting for that to stew.

Veg is drained and standing (uncovered) for a few minutes. Oven is almost ready.

I never need encouragement !! OK, 5 chicken legs are in a Roasting Tin. They have been brushed with oil, the onion wedges are in also brushed with oil and the veg is about to be added (when the oven is ready).

All is roasting but I've had to use dried herbs because fresh are not easy to come by here in Spain. Smells good though, the sesame oil might add a "something" that I'll enjoy. Time will tell now.

No I don't mind. I'm not publishing your "comments" because they are not. More of a conversation between. There are a lot of people here n Torremolinos and indeed all round the world who have fond memories of the Red Lion and I feel priviledged to have served Barry & Tina just tonight in Ana's Bar when they called in for a quick snifter on the way home to continue enjoying their retirement.

Oh!! I will take the skin off!! Too much fat for me thankyou!! I've got your recipe printed and am following it (almost) to the letter. So I won't forget what comes next, believe me.

Initial 30min roast is over. 5 tblspns of Balsamic (the bottom of my bottle) and a tblspn+ of honey have been drizzled over and the whole returned to the oven, uncovered, for 15mins where I expect it to brown under the top grill element. Smells good.

Yes, I know the Cam (and the other two towards the beach). I live just a few minutes walk away as the scene in my webcam (San Miguel Steps) gives away.

My favourite pastime, throwing smallish dinner parties as previous posts here of mine have indicated. So, the roast is now out of the oven and resting for a few minutes. Time to try I think.

No you are not keeping me up, I often cook at this hour if I've got an idea to try. My oven is obviously slow though...the dish needs another 15 mins at least because the chicken is underdone. But the flavours are there that's for sure. And I've got leftover boiled veg that I'll throw in the stock tomorrow after I've strained it off the chicken carcass etc.

I'll be up a little while longer yet, the stockpot needs about another hour yet. Nice talking to you. Thumbs up was given, more would be nice, and who the heck are you?? EMAIL ME, the address is on my profile page, just click it, write a note and send it.. I already know you are from (around) Liverpool so I'll know its from you.

I can remind you of how your Mum used to make a stock with pleasure but here is not the place. Email me from my profile page, then we can talk.

No comments: