Monday 21 January 2008

So Far So Good

I'm in the middle of making the Norwegian Potato Bread (Lefse) and currently have the prepared dough chilling in the fridge while I clean down my tiny working area in order to make room to be able to carry on. I have a very cheap kitchen scales that I've always believed is about as accurate as a piece of string but, today I've checked the reading it gives for an unopened 1Kg bag of flour only to find that it is remarkably accurate. So here's what I am doing:

275gms Mashed Potato (happens to be the weight of the couple that I cooked.)
2.5 fl ozs milk and melted butter.
3/4 cup of flour.
A good pinch of salt.

Very wastefully I warmed up some milk, the salt and a good tblspn of butter until the butter was melted then poured all into a measuring jug to find that I had 2/3 of a cup. Making the dough I used only a part of that and using an alternate scale on the jug I estimated that I'd used about 2.5 fl ozs. Sorry about the changing units but I'm working a new recipe here (for me) and I am having to read the measurements as clearly as I can. Conversions can come later!

Using the above quantities I have managed to get a dough that's just still a little sticky but also elastic and wanting to leave the bowl (and my fingers) clean. Then I rolled the dough (by hand) into a tube shape and now I have patties formed and chilling. They are about 2inches round and half-an-inch thick and I'm hoping that they will roll out thinly to a nice sized round ready for baking. By the way Else-Britt responded to my note about searching the Internet for ideas about how to make these with an email about a recipe of her own using Rye flour. I can't get that here but she says to use 2 : 1 Rye flour to Wheat flour for an authentic Norwegian recipe! While I'm mentioning others....thankyou to the person who has just this minute sent me a recipe for Stir Fried Broccolli with Beef. I love stir frying so when I can afford to buy the Steak :-) I'll give it a go. OK back to business and the washing up....

I'm running out of time here this afternoon so I'm not going to be able to finish this dish (Lakserulade) this side of my stint at work today; which is a shame because I wanted to take some in to the bar for others to try. Never mind. But I am going to bake one bread just to see how it is going to turn out and to do that I'm going to use my electric griddle (not unlike those sold as "George Foremans") In fact, here's a photo of it all set up and ready to go. The beauty of it is that I think I can bake both sides of the bread simultaneously rather than have to flip it using a Lefse Stick (not easy).

I'm getting there. The doublesided bake doesn't work and I don't think that the electric griddle gets hot enough so later I'm going to try my big Cast Iron one on the Gas with the burners on full blast, although I am getting a nice thin Lefse that is cooling and remaining quite pliable. But for now I'm going to leave you with this variation on the theme while I go off to the bar to work :

2145 I'm back indoors having met Helen & Ray in the bar at just on 9o'clock. Did I tell you that if there was anything I wanted from the States, she (Helen) offered to bring it? Well, I've just taken delivery of a nice big 4oz tub of Ground Black Pepper the like of which I can't buy here in Spain. Very nice too.

I've been thinking all evening about the Lefse and where I was up to before I went to work and I've just checked to see how the one I've already baked on the griddle has faired while I've been out. It's fine, nice and soft and a pleasant golden colour to boot so, I think I'm going to stick with the method of bakery that I'm using, get the rest done and into the freezer and then tomorrow I can sort out the making of the Lakserulade proper.

The dish that Else-Britt brought into the bar last night was done with "Tunnbröd" (or Thin Bread in English) and I now have in my Freezer a pack of 5 slices courtesy of Richard and, would you believe, IKEA!! The pack cost me 1.50 euros and I really don't think that I could make it for myself at that price! So I'm not going to but I know that the Smoked Salmon will sit nicely on each one accompanied by Butter, Sour Cream, onion, chives, Black Pepper and my own personal twist - some "caviar" I still have left! Also I can make a comparison (just for fun) between the classic dish with Lefse and one using the Tunnbröd.

No comments: