Tuesday 22 January 2008

Lefse? Nah...Lompe!!

Just goes to show how the experts get things so wrong. The recipes I dug up on the internet for the lefse I made (or finished) today all said "roll it into a round, pancake, shape. But my No 1 critic, Else-Britt told me today after she'd tasted my offering in the bar that it should be square, "what you have made is Lompe (cos it's round). Lefse is square." And didn't I know that the shape was wrong for what I was trying to do? Anyway I'm going to do it all again, properly, and when perfected, use it as a starter next time I have a Dinner Guest. Favio also tried some and was more concerned about whether the "caviar" was real than how it tasted. Tina told him the truth so maybe he stopped worrying that he might be paying me too much!!

While I've got Favio in the frame, he asked me tonight to work through and then take tomorrow off. I didn't because the three of us haven't thrashed out this night-off business together and I won't pre-empt anything by being tricked into agreements on my own. He also asked me if I had a driving license because it seems that (if I've understood correctly) he wants me A) to move into one of the apartments above the bar and B) take over the management of the bar including using his spare car to run to the Wholesalers etc. for stock n stuff, all to come into effect when Beryl retires in June and moves to America with Randy. In the meantime this Day-Off lark is becoming a pretentious issue because he seems to be angling the arrangement in such a way that he doesn't have to cover anybody. Beryl and I do not think that idea is right.

My dinner was nice. The 2nd of three portions of that Chicken Roast I made the other day. I revitalized the sauciness by adding some more Honey and a good drizzle of Soja Sauce (cos I have run out of Balsamic Vinegar) and then it went back into the oven for another half hour on a low shelf at 200C to make sure that the underdone Chicken finished off properly. It did. For the last portion, when I have it at a later date (I was told it could be frozen and it has been) I'm going to try reducing the added Honey and Balsamic, or Soja, to make a glaze that'll lay on the food rather than run off.

No comments: