Saturday 12 January 2008

Loafing Around

I had an SMS from a friend in Leeds yesterday confirming her arrival here in Torre next Friday. I don't know at what time she (Elise) is due to land but we've already kind-of-agreed that she'll come to see me in the bar sometime after 5. She is only staying for 3 nights having asked me a week or so ago to book them for her at the local Hostal. My commission? Some Yorkshire Tea and Indian Oxos. Bless her. I've known her since my days in the Bar Jardin when she was introduced by another customer, Colin (since deceased) one Sunday Lunch session. She also made friends with Erica and is the one who coined the phrase "Erica from America" when referring to that young lady. She comes to stay for a few days every year and last year I met her at the airport etc etc but this year, what with the job an'all, I haven't offered to do that (to carry her bags) and, anyway, she's coming with a "mate" so I'm sure that they will manage. Last year she came on her own but the year before she came with a mate and I can remember Erica and I, her and her friend having a couple of great nights out in local eateries and bars. Colin is the reason why I'm here in this quarter of Torremolinos, it was he who first introduced me to the Red Lion, Anas Bar and El Bajondillo because he used to bring me over here every Sunday on my night off and we would "do the rounds" among the local bars, find a bite to eat (he enjoyed Italian), listen to Ana singing in the Cafeteria Bar in the Hotel Bajondillo (which actually isn't, it's the block of holiday apartments which Austen used last year, but it's easier to describe as a "hotel") and then leave me to walk the Paseo back to MonteMar at 3 in the morning. I got on nodding terms with the local bobbies patroling the paseo at that hour: I was there every week, so were they, when they would, from behind, poke the nose of their patrol car just beside my knee and pace me for a minute or so then pass on by with a nod and "SeƱor" and I'd nod back with a gracias. Even now, what, 3 to 4 years on, in town, I still get acknowledged by those officers who recognise me. Colin's untimely death at 66 changed everything here, life hasn't been the same since, other Pillars of the local society have also died, Erica went back to America, Harry went back to the UK, Larisa spends time back in Omsk, Katrina went home, Carolina "disappeared" (now living in Majorca I hear), all has changed. But Elise is coming for 3 days and her presence, for me, is a slice of the old days so to speak. Yes, I've only been here for 5 minutes in the big scheme of things but those few minutes started off being fabulous; now it's so different. But the sun still shines.

But what was I going to say? Oh yes, my second loaf has turned out far better than the first and I don't think that I'm going to get it much better as a basic bread because I cannot get Strong Flour here in Spain. Anyway the photo is of number 2 and very nice it is too. I can slice it thinly, it doesn't break up as soon as you touch it, I can fold a slice over without it "snapping", the crust is nice and soft. In all, somewhat near what I am after and all courtesy of a "Chef" called "Kenwood". I'm pleased with it. WOAH! "You've got Mail" my system says and at this time of day (1510) it can only be.....YES!!!...... 'scuse me I'll be back in a minute........

The photos that I've been waiting for. Taken by Katrina during that Lunch we all had together at Lary's apartment a few weeks ago. Trouble is that there must be a dozen that she has sent and the sheer size of the posting has knocked my machine for 6 (I'm actually working with my 2nd machine right now while the other reboots). I've seen the accompanying message though - "Que haces ahora?" - what are you doing right now - (amongst other bits and bobs). My reply is going to be "waiting for you to tell me what's happening, what the Doctors have said, when are you coming "home"?? etc etc etc. But I can't send a reply yet because...it's time to go to work!!!! Sod's Law, again. Can I swear? Thankyou. S..t!! I've turned my reheating Chicken Curry off because I'm not hungry now, although I was starving half-an-hour ago. I just want to get work over, get back home and send an email. And for that I am sorry, but I really miss her. More than maybe even I have realized in the past.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey Torre bloke :) , love watching ya making dough ! nice recipes too!

Anonymous said...

see ya on the cam........ yeahhh :)

Anonymous said...

plz ... look directly at cam ... smile and wave now cos Im still online right now,wont be on much longer, or hold up a sign just to say hello, then I know your'e getting my messages Thx, I just used to love The Red Lion, we used to visit most years, loved the large mushrooms on toast... yummm x

Anonymous said...

awww thankyou :) see ya manana as they say nice to chat bye for now zzzzz time Moi x by the way Im no stalker, just someone who likes a gab ... bye for now x Im in UK btw

Anonymous said...

I see your'e yawning also zzzzz time for you too! night night .... moi x

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmm tea or coffee?? lol nighty nights x going to sleep now see ya tomorrow x

Anonymous said...

wave, nighty night x