Thursday 24 January 2008

Burn's Night?

I'm must be typsy because I've just arrived home from my stint in the bar (which was very good, most entertaining and a pleasure to have hosted, with follow-on drinks with customers after Beryl had taken over) with the idea that I've said that I'll produce for tomorrows shift, which of course is Burn's Night, a limited edition of Cock-a-leekie soup, which I probably can't even spell, let alone cook! I've given some thought to it, while my dinner of Kidney Pie, Boiled Onion, Potatoes and Greens cooks, checked out some recipes, and here is what I am going to do in the morning after shopping for the stuff (prunes n'all, believe me).


INGREDIENTS:
1 Whole 2Kg Chicken.
.5Kg leeks (including greens, cleaned and cut into 1-inch pieces)
100gms Lardons (citas) of Bacon.
4 pints water
1oz long grained rice
4oz cooked, stoned prunes
One teaspoon brown sugar
Salt and pepper
Garni of bay leaf, parsley, thyme


Method:
Put the Chicken and bacon in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and remove any scum. Add three-quarters of the leeks, (green as well as white sections), herbs (tied together in a bundle), salt and pepper and return to the boil. Simmer gently for 2-3 hours, adding more water if necessary.

Remove the bird, carve and add some meat back to the broth. Add the rice and drained prunes and the remaining leeks and simmer for another 30 minutes. Check for flavour and serve with a little chopped parsley.

All that aside, another re-union occurred tonight. This time Tina & Barry met up with Sue and June followed by the arrival in the bar of Helen & Ray. The photo tells all despite the fact that Barry is "otherwise engaged" ( say n'more.) My dinner is nearly ready according to the lovely aroma wafting around the apartment so I'll see you anon.

Those Meat Pies you like? Try this....Boil together some potato and one onion. When done remove and keep the onion warm while the potato is mashed with Butter and a little Milk. Cook some frozen spinach according to instructions with a pinch of ground cloves. Cook the meat pie and then serve like so - the Pie with (on the side) the whole Boiled Onion, the spinach and some Mashed Potato dressed with ground paprika (sweet or hot, your preference) accompanied by lots of gravy made from a beef cube and the potato/onion water. That is what I have just done, except that I used one of Richards homemade Kidney Pies that I have in the freezer, and I didn't want the meal to ever finish. Simply delicious..

No comments: