Thursday 10 January 2008

Here I go again

I'm just watching Jamie Oliver (The Naked Chef) roast a chicken using a flavoured butter between the skin and the flesh. For the record he has used Parma Ham, Lemon Zest, Thmye, Garlic and salt & pepper to flavour the butter. Why I am telling you this is because, coincidently, mine is already in the oven. Prepped in the same way BUT I used a Chicken Jerk spice mix that I brought back from America earlier this year, plus some dried thyme, to enhance some of a "butter flavour" margarine product that I use these days. Butter is nice (probably better from a flavour point of view) I agree but I have to be conscious of my fat intake and choose to use alteratives. This time I've not used a stuffing mix inside the bird either so I'm hoping that 75mins for my 1.8kg bird will be enough in my little oven and that I won't end up with "pink at the bone" this time. It's not for todays dinner mind. Oh no. Today I have Pork Pie. Real Pork Pie. Baked at home by Richard to a recipe he has been perfecting this last 3 months or so and absolutely delicious with salad and pickles etc. He has actually involved me and a few other local residents in Taste Testings this last couple of months and, taking onboard our comments, has arrived at a 'committee job' that is just perfect. Shame that you don't live in Torre and don't know Richard....his pies are the best.

An hour-and-a-half later and yer'tis. Browned off and resting. This time I'm going to resist the temptation to eat the best part of a breast while testing that it is done. Tonight I'll do something for supper involving my homemade bread, a little cold chicken and some cranberries in one form or another but right now it is time to think of other things like going to work.

It was a busy session in the bar this evening. Marred of course by the inevitable flood in the loos but, Favio got on the phone tonight to a plumber chappie so maybe things are going to get sorted out in the not-too-distant future. And a good thing too because the first of the regular American visitors has arrived. A lady called Fay, from Washington I believe. Everybody was surprised to see her so 'early' in the year but she says that it is her normal time to arrive. In the next few weeks we are expecting the rest to arrive followed by some good times in the bar.

No comments: