Saturday 5 January 2008

Those Breadcrumbs

I've taken a Kilo of flour, 2 teaspoons of salt, a pint of tepid water with 50gms of yeast and a tablespoon of honey dissolved in it and made a dough in my mixing machine. And, hey presto, it's rising now on it's first proving!!

As for the chicken, I stuffed it with Sage & Onion and roasted it yesterday. It came out pink at the bone so obviously I didn't allow enough extra time for the extra weight of the stuffing. I reckon that my oven is "slow" though because the same calculations have worked before in other ovens so it's going to be interesting to see how the Bread turns out. Being pink at the bone isn't TOO much of a worry because the carved meat is to be reheated in the microwave etc so the cooking process will complete then. I hope.

Question.....how do you know when the dough has doubled in size? I can't remember how big it was at the start!! But it IS getting bigger (I`ve never, never, not ever made bread before). Hmmm, I going to presume that the longer the proving, the lighter the texture, so, when it touches the ali foil covering the bowl I'll consider it risen enough assuming that that will be "well" doubled in size. Isn't cooking fun?. Some folk consider it a science. Me? I suck it and see (as they say!)

OK, total success so far. 2nd proving is underway whereby I've actually placed the dough in the Loaf Tin so that when ready the whole caboodle can go straight in the hot oven. I'm just hoping that there IS more than one way to "skin a cat", straight into the tin? No-one else seems to do that!

Now it is in the oven, where time alone will do the telling. I've covered the tin with AliFoil to try and cut down the effect of the bare element in the top of the oven, there to act as a grill of course but I can't turn it off in this particular oven, so, plan B is always to cover the food loosely ( so that I can still see it!). I forgot to grease the tin (I thought it was non-stick) so I've had a little job getting the loaf out but, with little damage I've succeeded. Looks good. Smells good, and despite no E Numbers it tastes good. The Breadcrumbs? I've got a packet that I bought from the supermarket in the cupboard already!!

No comments: