Tuesday 22 January 2008

A Tasty Typo

Yesterday in my ramblings I wrote that I'd rolled some dough into a tube shape. Of course, I hadn't, I wasn't making doughnuts, I rolled it into a cylindrical shape!! Sorry 'bout that but the last thing I wanted yesterday was 'oles in me dough!! That would've been worser than potatoes in me socks!! And I've got some of them I can tell you. (I know but it reads well!!!)

12:25 I've just had a phonecall from Beryl; Favio is back on the "Derek must have a day off" bandwagon, despite the fact that I don't want one! We three are going to have to thrash this out together because the proposal he put to her late last night was totally unacceptable to both of us although I wasn't there, I was home in bed. I think we both know why he keeps bringing this up and we can play that situation to our advantage. But it would seem that he is happy to keep the early shift going!

Plan for the day is more of the Roasted Balsamic Chicken for my Dinner later but first....I'm going to finish the Lakserulade (which is snacky, finger food).

The classic way, it seems, is to fold the breads in half, twice, which gives a cone shape. Well, that is not the way Else-Britt presented her Lakserulade on Tunnbröd so I'm not going to do that. Instead I'm going to fold in half once to give a boat shape. The photo shows both styles and the original bread as baked. They are paper thin by the way. Apparantly that is how they should be, you should be able to see the "lefse stick" through them (the tool used to turn them but I used a spatula knife thingy instead, it's probably got a proper name which I can't think of it right now, but it's in the picture as well). My 2inch x 1/2inch patties have given a bread about 5inches in diameter. Right or wrong, that's what I got. They can be frozen by the way but I want to show off in the bar this evening so I'm going to fill all of mine now basing things on a recipe that Else-Britt gave me, which was:

Bread
Butter
Smoked Salmon
Sour Cream
Onion
Pepper
Chives (garnish)

Hang on a minute! Lakserulade. Every word has a greek root so they say. Are we dealing with a roulade here? Maybe, maybe not but that is exactly what I am going to do. Roll 'em!! So forget the folding, I'm going to work with the flat round instead. Sorry, but I'm thinking out loud as I go along here. Quite enjoying it too!

I haven't got chives available so I am going to use a garlic rub to impart some flavour in their stead. My Sour Cream is going to have to be Creme Fraiche with a squirt of lemon juice stirred in (a trick Erica taught me) and my garnish is going to be "caviar" - Lumpfish Roe, just as tasty with your eyes closed!! Oh yes, I should say that the "butter" I use is a more healthy substitute.

I've grated some onion and mixed it in with Soured Creme Fraiche. Then I cut each bread in half and rubbed both with a garlic clove then spread some butter, sprinkled a little pepper on then placed a teaspoon of the cream towards one end, topped with a little Smoked Salmon and rolled it all up like a mini swiss roll. Finally I garnished the seam (or tried to) with a little "caviar". Not perfect, the half-moon shape is wrong. Next time I'll try baking the bread in rectangles. Also, I think that I was too liberal with the flour on the rolling board because the residue on the baked breads is acting as a non-stick surface and preventing me from closing the rolls as I would have liked. Anyway, the photo shows what I got for my troubles. I'll take them in to work anyway.

No comments: