Sunday 20 January 2008

Stakkars mann.

Helen & Ray have arrived from Florida, albeit somewhat late into Málaga, but they are here safe and sound. I've left them re-newing aquaintances with all and sundry in the bar. Me? I've come home, I'm tired, I ache and I'm hungry.

I have given Swedish Anna the jar of Curry Paste that I made for her. She tried to pay me for it and seemed quite taken aback when I said that I had made it myself especially for her. I hope that she likes it as much as I enjoyed the drink that she then treated me to. As you can see I used an empty Apple Sauce jar (sterilized in the microwave) and even produced the label myself, rather hurriedly because it was near time to go to work but something was better than nothing. Terrible photo though.

Elsa-Britt and Ole-Erik sent me an email earlier today (we are actually neighbours) offering me a portion of Smoked Salmon that they could not eat because they'd brought too much from Norway. I said "yes please" and I now have it back here in the apartment having taken delivery of it in the bar tonight. They also brought into the bar earlier a little Norwegian snack made with Smoked Salmon called Lakserulade which I am about to make here for myself now because what I tasted earlier, along with other customers (there was a plateful that was handed round those present), was so nice that I've now also got the recipe. Did I say "portion" - it must be half a fish lying there sliced on the plate.

First I need some Lefse ( a potato bread)........while a couple of potatoes are boiling ready for mashing I can tell you that I was commenting about being tired, and achy, in the bar this evening after Beryl had taken over which prompted Else-Britt (whom I was sitting next to) to say, in Swedish, "stackare, stackare" which translates to 'you poor thing'. We had a giggle together about it and tonight's title is the Norwegian translation!!. Well, I am tired and achy. Perhaps I'm "coming down with something" as they say. Gripe maybe (Spanish for Flu). Who knows. The potatoes are probably mushy now.............I've just been out on the internet looking at methods of making Lefse and whilst it is easyish to make it does require chilled mash etc so there is no way I'm going to get that done tonight. So what's plan B? I don't know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here is another lovely recipe I tried out a couple of weeks ago. A quick and healthy supper for when you're short on time... here goes..
STIR-FRIED BROCCOLI WITH BEEF
Serves 4 Ready in 20mins...
2x200g TENDERSTEM BROCCOLI each stem cut into 3.
2TBSP SUNFLOWER OIL
350g RUMP OR SIRLION STEAK, cut into short strips.
4 SPRING ONIONS, trimmed and sliced,plus extra to garnish.
1-2 CLOVES GARLIC, finely chopped.
3TBSP OYSTER SAUCE.
3TBSP SOY SAUCE.
EGG NOODLES, to serve.
...................................
Method,
Bring a pan of water to the boil, add the broccoli, simmer for 1 minute, then drain.
Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan. Add the steak and stir-fry on a high heat for 2 minutes.Push the steak to the side of the wok, add the spring onions, garlic and broccoli and stir-fry for another 2 minutes.
Reduce the heat, add the oyster and soy sauce and stir-fry for 1 minute. Serve with egg noodles.
...................................
Then sit down and enjoy with a nice glass of red wine or 3 :)
If you try this I do hope you enjoy.